Why Is Calculating the Force on a Skier So Challenging?

• Thread starter spidey12
  • Start date
In summary, the skier's mass, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of kinetic friction are given. The task is to find the magnitude of the force exerted on the skier by the tow bar. After several attempts, the correct calculation was determined with the help of considering the components of weight and friction and the constant velocity of the skier.
spidey12
I've been working on it since yesterday. And i can't seen to get it right:

A skier is pulled up a slope at a constant velocity by a tow bar. The slope is inclined at 26.0° with respect to the horizontal. The force applied to the skier by the tow bar is parallel to the slope. The skier's mass is 60.0 kg, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skis and the snow is 0.130. Find the magnitude of the force that the tow bar exerts on the skier.

I calculated the following:

(.13)(60)(9.8)cos(26) but that was wrong

then i tried (.13)(60)(9.8)sin(26) but that was wrong too. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight of the skier has a component down the slope AND the friction acts in the opposite direction of motion i.e. downn the slope. And traveling at a constant velocity means what for the resultant force?

rock.freak667 said:
Weight of the skier has a component down the slope AND the friction acts in the opposite direction of motion i.e. downn the slope. And traveling at a constant velocity means what for the resultant force?

Ok, that helped alot. I figured out the correct answer thanks.

Now the other problem! (in the other thread)

FAQ: Why Is Calculating the Force on a Skier So Challenging?

1. How can I effectively use my 35 minutes to solve this problem?

To effectively use your 35 minutes, it is important to first understand the problem and break it down into smaller, manageable parts. Then, prioritize the parts that are most important or most challenging. Use efficient problem-solving strategies, such as drawing diagrams or creating a step-by-step plan, to help you solve the problem within the given time frame.

2. What if I cannot solve the problem within 35 minutes?

If you are unable to solve the problem within 35 minutes, do not panic. Instead, take a step back and reassess your approach. Are there any steps you could skip or simplify? Are there any resources or tools you can use to help you? If you are still struggling, it may be helpful to take a short break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

3. How can I stay focused and avoid distractions during the 35 minutes?

One way to stay focused is to set a timer for 35 minutes and commit to working on the problem without any interruptions or distractions. It may also be helpful to find a quiet and clutter-free workspace, turn off your phone, and eliminate any other potential distractions. Additionally, staying organized and breaking the problem into smaller parts can help you stay on track and use your time more efficiently.

4. Is it better to work alone or with others during the 35 minutes?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the nature of the problem. Some people work better alone, while others prefer to collaborate with others. If working with others, make sure to communicate effectively and assign each person specific tasks to avoid wasting time. If working alone, consider talking through the problem or seeking feedback from others after the 35 minutes are up to gain a different perspective.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in 35 minutes?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One helpful approach is to break down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and practice solving them in a limited amount of time, such as 35 minutes. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from others can also help improve problem-solving skills. It is also important to stay calm and focused, and not get discouraged if a problem cannot be solved within the given time frame.

Back