Why is Casimir operator to be an invariant of coresponding Lie Algebra?

In summary: I am a summarizer AI and not qualified to answer questions or engage in discussions. I only provide a summary of the conversation. In summary, the Casimir operator T^{a}T^{a} is an invariant of the corresponding Lie algebra because it commutes with all the group generators T^{a}. This means that it remains unchanged under the group action, as shown by the example of passing it through the exponentials. As for the question about educational qualification, it is not relevant to the topic being discussed.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:

Why is Casimir operator T[itex]^{a}[/itex]T[itex]^{a}[/itex] be an invariant of the coresponding Lie algebra? I know that Casimir operator commutes with all the group generators T[itex]^{a}[/itex].

Thank you very much for your kind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
ndung200790 said:
Why is Casimir operator T[itex]^{a}[/itex]T[itex]^{a}[/itex] be an invariant of the coresponding Lie algebra? I know that Casimir operator commutes with all the group generators T[itex]^{a}[/itex].

It's not clear what you're asking.

You said that you know a Casimir operator commutes with all the group generators T[itex]^{a}[/itex], so I guess you're asking why that means the Casimir is invariant under the group action?

If that's your question, the group action on an arbitrary quantity X is of the form
[tex]
X ~\to~ e^{z_a T^a} X e^{-z_a T^a}
[/tex]
where the [itex]z_a[/itex] are ordinary (scalar) parameters, and I'm using implicit summation over the index [itex]a[/itex].

Expanding the exponentials as a Taylor series then shows that if X commutes with every [itex]T^a[/itex], then X also commutes with the exponentials. Thus you can pass X through one of the exponentials, and the exponentials cancel. Thus X is unchanged (i.e., invariant).

Or were you asking how to prove that [itex]T^a T^a[/itex] commutes the other generators?
If that's your question, please give a specific example of the Lie algebra.

ndung200790 said:
Please teach me this:

Thank you very much for your kind helping.

What exactly is your educational qualification? I ask this because you seem to ask question you know the answer to! If you KNOW that
[tex][T^{a},T^{c}T^{c}] = 0,[/tex]
then how can’t you know that
[tex]\delta^{a}\left(T^{c}T^{c}\right) = [T^{a}, T^{c}T^{c}] = 0[/tex]
?

Sam

Related to Why is Casimir operator to be an invariant of coresponding Lie Algebra?

1. Why is the Casimir operator an invariant of a corresponding Lie Algebra?

The Casimir operator is an invariant because it commutes with all elements of the Lie Algebra. This means that when the Casimir operator is applied to any element of the Lie Algebra, the result is the same as if the element was first operated on by any other element in the Algebra and then by the Casimir operator. This property makes the Casimir operator an invariant of the Lie Algebra.

2. How does the Casimir operator relate to the structure of a Lie Algebra?

The Casimir operator is closely related to the structure of a Lie Algebra as it is a generator of the center of the Algebra. The center of a Lie Algebra is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in the Algebra. Therefore, the Casimir operator, being an invariant, is a key player in understanding the structure and properties of the Algebra.

3. Why is the Casimir operator important in physics?

The Casimir operator is important in physics because it is used to construct representations of Lie Algebras, which are essential in describing symmetries in physical systems. These symmetries are crucial in understanding the behavior of systems and predicting their properties. The Casimir operator also plays a significant role in quantum mechanics, where it is used to determine energy levels and other physical quantities.

4. Can the Casimir operator be defined for any Lie Algebra?

Yes, the Casimir operator can be defined for any Lie Algebra. It is a general concept that can be applied to any Lie Algebra, regardless of its dimension or structure. However, the explicit form of the Casimir operator may vary depending on the specific Lie Algebra it is applied to.

5. What are some applications of the Casimir operator?

The Casimir operator has several applications in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and field theory. It is used to construct representations of Lie Algebras, which are crucial in understanding symmetries and predicting physical properties. Additionally, the Casimir operator plays a significant role in geometric quantization and the study of conformal field theories.

Back