Why is current not considered to be a vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of current as a scalar rather than a vector, and the various equations related to current and charge in physics. The question of why current is not treated as a vector is raised and it is explained that current can only flow in two possible directions, making it more practical to consider it a scalar. A suggestion is made to rewrite the equation for current as a vector, but it is explained why this may not be the correct approach.
PFStudent

Homework Statement

Currently, I am going through the magnetism section of my University Physics II course and I recognized that current has a magnitude and a direction. So, I was wondering why is that we do not treat current as a vector (Since, the direction current moves in can be represented using a unit vector.)?

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law

[tex]
{d{\vec{B}}} = {{\frac{{\mu}_{0}}{4{\pi}}}{\cdot}{\frac{Id{\vec{s}}{\times}{\vec{r}}}{{r}^{3}}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
{J} = {\frac{I}{A}}
[/tex]

[tex]
q = n_{e}e, {\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{n_{e}} = \pm1, \pm 2, \pm 3,...,
[/tex]

e [itex]\equiv[/itex] elementary charge

[tex]
{n_{e}} = {\pm}N, {\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{\textcolor[rgb]{1.00,1.00,1.00}{.}}{N} = 1, 2, 3,...,
[/tex]

[tex]
{N_{V}} = \frac{n_{e}}{V}
[/tex]

[tex]
{n_{e}} = {N_{V}}{V}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess, we do not treat current as a vector because we recognize that any given current can go in two possible directions. Either forward or backward. So, because of the limit on the directions current can take we consider it a scalar? Is that right?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

dst said:

Thanks for the link dst. I understand now why it is difficult to consider current as a vector. In addition, I remembered now that current can be defined as follows,

[tex]
{I} = {\int_{}^{}}{\vec{J}}{\cdot}{d{\vec{A}}}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
{I} = {\frac{dq}{dt}}
[/tex]

However, what if you take,

[tex]
{\vec{J}} = {{N_{V}}{e}{\vec{v}_{d}}}
[/tex]

and rewrite as,

[tex]
{{J}{\hat{u}}} = {{N_{V}}{e}{{v}_{d}}{\hat{u}}}
[/tex]

Where, [tex]{\hat{u}}[/tex] is some unit vector.

And rearranging as,

[tex]
{{I}{\hat{u}}} = {{n_{e}}{e}{{v}_{d}}{A}{\hat{u}}}
[/tex]

Why would the above be considered incorrect?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Related to Why is current not considered to be a vector?

1. Why is current not considered to be a vector?

Current is not considered to be a vector because it does not have both magnitude and direction. Unlike vectors, which have both a numerical value and a specific direction, current only refers to the flow of electric charge and does not have a direction associated with it.

2. How is current represented if it's not a vector?

Current is typically represented by a scalar quantity, which only has a numerical value and no direction. This is because current is measured as the rate of flow of electric charge, rather than a specific direction of flow.

3. Can current ever be considered a vector?

In some cases, current can be represented as a vector. This is usually in more complex circuit analysis where the direction of current flow is taken into account. However, in basic circuit analysis, current is typically treated as a scalar quantity.

4. What are the implications of current not being a vector?

Since current is not a vector, it does not follow the same rules of vector addition and subtraction. This means that you cannot simply add or subtract currents in different branches of a circuit to find the overall current. Instead, you must use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze the circuit.

5. How does the direction of current affect its behavior?

The direction of current does not affect its behavior, as current is a scalar quantity. However, the direction of current flow may affect the behavior of other components in a circuit, such as resistors, which have a specific direction of flow indicated by their polarity.