Why is the distance calculation multiplied by one half in this physics problem?

• Thread starter mapa
  • Start date
In summary: This is why calculus is so useful, because the 1/2at^2 term falls out naturally when you integrate a(t) to v(t) to get x(t).In summary, the equation for displacement in constant acceleration, x = x_0 + v_0t + \dfrac{1}{2}at^2, is derived from the formula for average velocity, v_{av} = \dfrac{v_0 + v}{2}, by using simple algebra or calculus. The factor of 1/2 comes from considering the average velocity as half the sum of the initial and present velocities. This concept will also be important in understanding kinetic energy and potential energy in future physics courses.
mapa
When I learn physics I like to visualize what is happening in my head.
I can understand why this problem is multiplied by t^2; from my rational
it is to get (m/s^2) just to meters. But why is this equation multiplied by
one half? I do not understand why this happens. Can someone please explain
the reasoning behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
mapa said:
When I learn physics I like to visualize what is happening in my head.
I can understand why this problem is multiplied by t^2; from my rational
it is to get (m/s^2) just to meters. But why is this equation multiplied by
one half? I do not understand why this happens. Can someone please explain
the reasoning behind this?

There are a couple of reasons that could be given. One involves calculus. More simply though, you can just use algebra. You know that for constant acceleration in one dimension:

[tex]v = v_0 + at[/tex]

[tex]v_{av} = \dfrac{v_0 + v}{2}[/tex]

Now, if you have a body that accelerates but has a known average velocity, then its displacement is:

[tex]x = x_0 + v_{av}t[/tex]

So, you can plug in the average velocity formula:

[tex]x = x_0 + \dfrac{v_0 + v}{2}t[/tex]

But since we're considering constant acceleration, we can substitute the equation for v and get:

[tex]x = x_0 + \dfrac{v_0 + (v_0 + at)}{2}t[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + \dfrac{2v_0 + at}{2}t[/tex]

And finally, after distributing, we end up with the familiar position function formula:

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \dfrac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

If you just set the initial position and velocity equal to zero, this reduces to the equation you cited. So you can see that the factor of 1/2 comes because we can conside the average velocity of a moving body by simply taking half the sum of its initial and present velocities.

Many first Physics courses do not show the math behind the formulas, you just have to take them as presented and learn to use them. When you get some more math under your belt, specifically calculus the equations you have memorized will be derived.

The answer to your question is calculus. Since clearly you are not there yet we cannot explain very well. At present your observation that it makes the units work is an excellent one. Keep seeing things like that and you do well.

Integral said:
The answer to your question is calculus. Since clearly you are not there yet we cannot explain very well.

Though there are many places in physics where calculus is indispensable, (e.g., deriving the electric potential from Coloumb's law), this doesn't happen to be one of them. In fact, arunma answered the OP nicely:

arunma said:
You know that for constant acceleration in one dimension:
[tex]v_{av} = \dfrac{v_0 + v}{2}[/tex]
So you can see that the factor of 1/2 comes because we can consider the average velocity of a moving body by simply taking half the sum of its initial and present velocities.

This is worth understanding because it will come up again at least twice. First in the definition of kinetic energy, [itex]\frac12 mv^2[/itex], and second in the potential energy of a spring, [itex]\frac12 kx^2[/itex].

mapa said:
I like to visualize what is happening in my head.
OK, let's show you :)

When you imagine v(t) graph, distans is representing as an area under the curve.

In motion with constans velocity it is clear: v(t) is horizontal line and s=v*t (see picture below)

In uniformly accelerated linear motion v(t)=a*t, so each point have coordinates (t, a*t).

Then area under the curve it triangle. Area of the triangle equals 1/2*a*h where a is the length of the base of the triangle, and h is the height or altitude of the triangle.

In this case s=1/2*t*(a*t) = 1/2*a*t^2 (see image)

regards

Attachments

• droga_w_ruchu.jpg
    droga_w_ruchu.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 3,664
Last edited:
If you're accelerating at 10m/s^2 for 1 second: in that one second, you started out going 0m/s and you ended up going 10m/s. Your average speed would be right in between, at 5m/s.

If your average speed is 5m/s for 1 second...your distance is 5m. And there's your half.

Lsos said:
If you're accelerating at 10m/s^2 for 1 second: in that one second, you started out going 0m/s and you ended up going 10m/s. Your average speed would be right in between, at 5m/s.

If your average speed is 5m/s for 1 second...your distance is 5m. And there's your half.

This is helpful, but be careful: this argument only works when the initial speed is zero.

Related to Why is the distance calculation multiplied by one half in this physics problem?

1. What does the equation "d = 1/2a(t)^2" mean?

This equation represents the distance traveled (d) by an object with a constant acceleration (a) over a period of time (t). It is commonly known as the displacement formula.

2. Why is the constant "1/2" included in the equation?

The constant 1/2 is included in the equation because it is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, specifically the kinematic equations. It represents the relationship between an object's position and its acceleration over a period of time.

3. What does the letter "a" stand for in the equation?

The letter "a" stands for acceleration, which is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How is this equation used in real-life applications?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the distance traveled by an object with a constant acceleration, such as a falling object or a moving car. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the distance a ball travels when thrown or kicked.

5. Can this equation be used for non-constant acceleration?

No, this equation can only be used for objects with a constant acceleration. For non-constant acceleration, more complex equations, such as the calculus-based equations of motion, need to be used.