Why Is GM Set to 900 in the Vis-Viva Equation for AU and KM/s?

• Thread starter visviva
  • Start date
In summary: Indeed, you should not assume that you know the value.To give you an example of how to proceed, consider the equation for the force our to gravity near the surface of the Earth:F = 9.8 mWritten like this, this equation is valid if m is in kg and returns F in Newtons. If you wanted to know how to change that so that m is in grams and F is dynes (CGS system), you would first find the conversion factor needed to go from kg to g, i.e. 1000, and then change the 9.8 accordingly, and so on until the result is in dynes.
visviva
When distances are measured in AU and speed in KM/s the variable in the vis-vva equation: GM=900 explain why this is so.

Vis-Viva equation: V^2 = GM( 2/r -1/a)i tried subbing in AU for R and A and and solving the equation to see if it equals out, i just don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got confused by the homework template. You should leave the text included in the template, and simply add your own stuff in-between.

As for your question, start in SI units, and then modify the GM factor until it corresponds to the units specified for distances and speed.

DrClaude said:
I think you got confused by the homework template. You should leave the text included in the template, and simply add your own stuff in-between.

As for your question, start in SI units, and then modify the GM factor until it corresponds to the units specified for distances and speed.

by modify the GM factor what are you referring to, I haven't taken anything physics related in about 5 years so I am struggling here. My first instinct here was to use the SI unit version of GM ( M^3/S^2) and then find wht value that is equivalent to 900 in the other unit ( Km^3/S^2) but I am pretty sure that's not write as that would not show why when distance are in AU and speed in KM GM = 900.

Last edited by a moderator:
visviva said:
by modify the GM factor what are you referring to, I haven't taken anything physics related in about 5 years so I am struggling here. My first instinct here was to use the SI unit version of GM ( M^3/S^2) and then find wht value that is equivalent to 900 in the other unit ( Km^3/S^2) but I am pretty sure that's not write as that would not show why when distance are in AU and speed in KM GM = 900.
Indeed, you should not assume that you know the value.

To give you an example of how to proceed, consider the equation for the force our to gravity near the surface of the Earth:

F = 9.8 m

Written like this, this equation is valid if m is in kg and returns F in Newtons. If you wanted to know how to change that so that m is in grams and F is dynes (CGS system), you would first find the conversion factor needed to go from kg to g, i.e. 1000, and then change the 9.8 accordingly, and so on until the result is in dynes.

I tried making an equation equivalent/ converted the original Vis-Viva equation in SI units: V^2 = GM(2/R-1/A) what i did was look at each value and convert it to the value required in the question to try and creat a new equation, 0.001V^2 =GM(2/1.496x10^8KM - 1/ 1.496x10^8 KM) am even doing anything near what is being suggested?

FAQ: Why Is GM Set to 900 in the Vis-Viva Equation for AU and KM/s?

1. What is the Vis-Viva equation?

The Vis-Viva equation, also known as the conservation of energy equation, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the velocity of an object in orbit around a central body. It relates the kinetic energy and potential energy of an object in orbit to its distance and mass from the central body.

2. What does "GM=900" represent in the Vis-Viva equation?

The constant "GM=900" represents the product of the gravitational constant, G, and the mass of the central body, M. It is used in the Vis-Viva equation to calculate the velocity of an object in orbit.

3. How is the Vis-Viva equation used in space exploration?

The Vis-Viva equation is used in space exploration to calculate the velocity required for spacecraft to enter and maintain a stable orbit around a planet or other celestial body. It is also used to determine the energy required for a spacecraft to escape the gravitational pull of a planet and travel to another destination.

4. Can the Vis-Viva equation be used for objects in elliptical orbits?

Yes, the Vis-Viva equation can be used for objects in elliptical orbits as it takes into account the varying distance between the object and the central body throughout its orbit.

5. Are there any limitations to the Vis-Viva equation?

While the Vis-Viva equation is a useful tool for calculating orbital velocities, it does have limitations. It assumes that the central body is a perfect sphere with a constant mass, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not account for external factors such as atmospheric drag or the gravitational influence of other objects.

Back