Why is induced electric field circular?

In summary: This is why the electric field becomes circular or close loop in shape. In summary, the time-varying magnetic field causes the electric field to become circular or close loop in shape due to Faraday's law, which states that the circular part of the electric field is equal to the change in the magnetic field. This is a result of the non-conservative nature of the fields and is described by Maxwell's equations.
turaturer
Time-varying magnetic field makes electric field circular(or close loop). I am asking the reason why it is circular or close loop shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
turaturer said:
Time-varying magnetic field makes electric field circular(or close loop). I am asking the reason why it is circular or close loop shape?
The fields are non-conservative. They have to follow the laws of electromagnetism ( discovered by Faraday and Maxwell). In this case, electric field is induced only when there is change in magnetic flux associated with a loop (real or hypothetical).
So,∫ E⋅dl=dΦB/dt.
Since the varying flux is associated with a loop, the electric field lines are circular, i.e. they are along the loop. Everything is governed by Maxwell's mighty equations.

turaturer said:
Any vector field can be decomposed into an irrotational part and a solenoidal part. Faraday discovered that the solenoidal part is equal to the time variation of the magnetic field.

DaleSpam said:
Any vector field can be decomposed into an irrotational part and a solenoidal part. Faraday discovered that the solenoidal part is equal to the time variation of the magnetic field.
Thank you. But I asked how time-variation of the magnetic field makes electric field rotate, not make it divergence field.

Yes. That is what I answered. "Faraday discovered that the solenoidal part..."

Faradays law says ##\nabla \times E =\partial B/\partial t##. In words this says that the circular part of E is equal to the change of B.

Last edited:

Related to Why is induced electric field circular?

1. What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is a type of electric field that is created by changes in the magnetic field. This change in the magnetic field can be caused by a moving magnetic field, a changing electric field, or a changing magnetic field.

2. Why is an induced electric field circular?

An induced electric field is circular because of the way it is created. When a magnetic field changes, it creates a circular electric field around it. This circular electric field is perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field and follows the direction of the magnetic field lines.

3. How is an induced electric field different from a regular electric field?

An induced electric field is different from a regular electric field because it is created by changes in the magnetic field, rather than by charged particles. It also only exists while the magnetic field is changing, whereas a regular electric field can exist permanently.

4. What is the significance of a circular induced electric field?

The circular induced electric field has several significant properties. It is always perpendicular to the changing magnetic field, it has a constant magnitude, and it forms closed loops around the changing magnetic field. These properties make it useful in applications such as electromagnetic induction and motors.

5. Can an induced electric field be non-circular?

Yes, an induced electric field can be non-circular if the changing magnetic field is not uniform. In this case, the electric field will still be perpendicular to the changing magnetic field, but it will no longer form closed loops and may have a changing magnitude and direction. This type of induced electric field is known as a non-uniform or non-circular induced electric field.