Why is Latex acting strange on Physics Forums?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter bapowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, users on Physics Forums are experiencing a problem with rendering LaTeX equations in their posts. Instead of displaying the equations they have entered, the system is displaying equations from previous posts. This issue seems to only occur in the preview and can be resolved by refreshing the page. It is a known problem and will be fixed with the implementation of MathJax. Clearing the browser cache does not solve the problem.
bapowell
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Starting yesterday, when I attempt to include latex in my PF posts, instead of rendering what's between the latex tags, it prints out latex entries from my previous posts! For example, if I were to enter 15 separate latex equations, instead of printing these, it would render my last 15 (those prior to yesterday) latex equations in their place.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'm not seeing LaTeX in this post...

[tex]e^{\pi i}+1=0, \rm \LaTeX test[/tex]

Last edited:
This is a test:

[itex]e^{\pi i} + 1 = 0[/itex]

Apparently the tex tags are case sensitive; I'm posting mobile so the stupid autocorrect messed the tag up and I didn't notice.

Is it just the incorrect previewing issue, or is it with normal posts? Does refreshing load the proper TeX?

It only appears to be a problem with the preview. Refreshing doesn't appear to help.

bapowell, this also happens to me. I tend to ignore it because I know it'll show the correct LaTeX when the post is made. I haven't tried this myself, but have you tried clearing the cache?

This is a known problem with LaTeX on the site, and has to do with the way the TeX images are cached.

I believe Greg is planning to switch the site over to MathJax, which should remove this issue.

Metaleer said:
bapowell, this also happens to me. I tend to ignore it because I know it'll show the correct LaTeX when the post is made. I haven't tried this myself, but have you tried clearing the cache?
I've not. I don't know how to do this. I tried clearing my browser cache to no avail. Thanks for all the responses. I suppose this is not that big a deal as long as the latex prints properly in the final message.

bapowell said:
Starting yesterday, when I attempt to include latex in my PF posts, instead of rendering what's between the latex tags, it prints out latex entries from my previous posts! For example, if I were to enter 15 separate latex equations, instead of printing these, it would render my last 15 (those prior to yesterday) latex equations in their place.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here??
This is not a "real" problem - it's a caching quirk. Simply reload/refresh page to display correct equations.

Bapowell, what you're describing sounds exactly like the problem that we've all had since April 13, 2010. It affects everyone, regardless of what browser and operating system they're using. The workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview, and you sometimes have to do it one more time after saving an edit. Clearing the browser cache doesn't help.

Related to Why is Latex acting strange on Physics Forums?

1. What is "Latex appears possessed Help"?

"Latex appears possessed Help" is a phrase commonly used to describe a situation in which the latex material used in scientific experiments or equipment behaves unpredictably or strangely, causing difficulties or confusion for the scientist.

2. Why does latex sometimes appear possessed?

The behavior of latex can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to certain chemicals. In some cases, these factors can cause the latex to expand, shrink, or exhibit other unusual behaviors, leading to the perception that it is "possessed".

3. How can I prevent latex from appearing possessed?

To minimize the chances of experiencing strange behaviors from latex, it is important to carefully control the environmental conditions in which it is used. This may include maintaining consistent temperature and humidity levels, avoiding exposure to certain chemicals, and properly storing and handling the latex material.

4. Is it dangerous if latex appears possessed?

In most cases, the strange behaviors exhibited by latex are not dangerous. However, it is important to take precautions and follow safety protocols when working with any scientific materials, including latex. If you are unsure about the safety of a particular situation, consult with a supervisor or safety expert.

5. What should I do if I encounter possessed latex?

If you encounter latex that is exhibiting strange behaviors, it is important to remain calm and follow proper safety procedures. If the behavior poses a safety risk, evacuate the area and seek assistance from a supervisor or safety expert. Otherwise, carefully document the behavior and report it to your supervisor for further investigation.