Why is Linux good for scientific programing?

In summary, there are advantages to downloading Linux on your PC instead of Windows 7, such as having access to a wide variety of free software and easier installation of development tools. Dual-booting and using VirtualBox are also options for using both operating systems. Learning Linux may take time, but it can be beneficial for future careers in computing. Different versions of Linux, such as Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu, offer different user interfaces. Some may prefer the feel of Linux, while others choose based on the software they need to use. Scientific Linux, based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, is also a good option.
alemsalem
Is it a good idea to download Linux on my PC instead of windows 7? which one?

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
In general, the advantage of running linux (in my biased opinion as a linux user) is that there are literally thousands of pieces of software to choose from that you can install easily and that are free. When I install linux on a new machine, I have a list of about 120 applications that I install, and it takes 5 minutes of my time to initiate the downloads.

Ubuntu is the easiest version of linux to get running.

For scientific programming, the advantage of linux would be that a lot of the tools you need (compilers, libraries for numerical stuff, ...) are free and easy to install, whereas on windows it's pretty nontrivial to get a working development environment without paying money.

You could always dual-boot them, and get the best of both worlds.

Leveret said:
You could always dual-boot them, and get the best of both worlds.

This is a good way to start. Learning Linux properly is a time commitment. In my opinion, it is well worth the effort, but many people give up because it takes longer than they expected.

If your future profession is going to have anything to do with computers at a level deeper than a browser and a spreadsheet, I would say that learning linux is a very good idea. However, as with Ben above, I am also biased.

Ubuntu has just made a major overhaul of the user interface and they are still working the kinks out. I might suggest xubuntu or kubuntu as good alternatives.

http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://www.xubuntu.org/

Edit:

If your computer is fast enough, you can install VirtualBox and run a second operating system in a sandbox. It is a great way to go further than just playing around with the live CD. It is nice for testing out a new distribution without having to repartition your hard-drive.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

bcrowell said:
For scientific programming, the advantage of linux would be that a lot of the tools you need (compilers, libraries for numerical stuff, ...) are free and easy to install, whereas on windows it's pretty nontrivial to get a working development environment without paying money.

I haven't found this to be true. At least, I can't think of any language I've wanted to program in that I couldn't find a pretty good IDE for windows for free.

Shell scripting on linux can be pretty handy, and a lot of programs you'll run in linux can be run from the terminal so you could even SSH into your linux machine and do just about anything you want. Which means if you have a smartphone you could control your computer from anywhere :D

Personally, I just like the feel of linux better, once I get it up and running the way I want. Can't really put my finger on one thing in particular. Mostly, I choose which OS to use based on the software I want to use at the time; for instance, in my lab we have programs written in C++ which call a few windows-specific functions, so rather than porting them to linux I'll just use windows.

Edit: And I just started using Scientific Linux (http://www.scientificlinux.org/) which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Pretty much as easy as Ubuntu to use so it's worth checking out.

Related to Why is Linux good for scientific programing?

What is Linux and why is it good for scientific programming?

Linux is an open-source operating system that is widely used for scientific programming due to its versatility, stability, and customizability. Its open-source nature allows users to freely access and modify the source code, making it ideal for scientific research and development.

How does Linux compare to other operating systems for scientific programming?

Linux offers several advantages over other operating systems for scientific programming. It has a wide range of pre-installed scientific tools and packages, a robust command-line interface, and excellent support for parallel computing. Additionally, it is highly customizable and has a large community of developers constantly improving and updating its features.

What are some popular tools and packages available for scientific programming on Linux?

Linux offers a vast array of tools and packages for scientific programming, such as GNU Octave, R, Python, and MATLAB. These tools are widely used for data analysis, visualization, and modeling in various scientific fields, including physics, biology, and engineering.

How does Linux support parallel computing for scientific programming?

Linux has robust support for parallel computing, allowing scientists to run complex algorithms and simulations efficiently. Its multi-processing capabilities, along with tools like OpenMP and MPI, allow for efficient utilization of hardware resources and faster execution of code.

What are the benefits of using Linux for scientific programming?

There are several benefits to using Linux for scientific programming, including its open-source nature, extensive software library, efficient resource management, and excellent security. It also offers a stable and reliable platform for running large-scale simulations and data analysis, making it a popular choice among scientists and researchers.