Why is math in astrophysics said to be a lot easier?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Pleonasm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that math in astrophysics is easier than other branches of physics. The claim is supported by some sources, including a female astronomer who stated this in a public conversation and a thread on a forum. However, others in the conversation, including an astrophysicist, dispute this claim and suggest that the math in astrophysics is not easier and requires a wide range of mathematical disciplines. The person asking the question is encouraged to look at papers on arXiv and advanced astrophysics textbooks to form their own opinion on the level of difficulty of math in astrophysics. Ultimately, the difficulty of math in astrophysics may vary depending on the individual's background and the specific subfield
Pleonasm
Is it due to the bolded section outlined here?

"Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy that employs the principles of physics and chemistry "to ascertain the nature of the astronomical objects, rather than their positions or motions in space"

One still calculates the evolution of a given system, but I guess that's relatively straight-forward?

Are there" wordly" differences in the difficulties or is a less inclined math person still going to struggle just as much as in theoretical physics, say?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pleonasm said:
Is it due to the bolded section outlined here?

"Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy that employs the principles of physics and chemistry "to ascertain the nature of the astronomical objects, rather than their positions or motions in space"

One still calculates the evolution of a given system, but I guess that's relatively straight-forward?

Are there" wordly" differences in the difficulties or is a less inclined math person still going to struggle just as much as in theoretical physics, say?

Who told you that the math in astrophysics is "... a lot easier... "? And it is easier than what?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Who told you that the math in astrophysics is "... a lot easier... "? And it is easier than what?

Zz.

Nobody told me. The claim is from several sources, among them a public conversation between scientists I saw on youtube in which the female astronomer remarked that she went into astronomy/astrophysics originally because it was less heavy on math than other branches of physics. There was also a thread in here about the astronomy/astrophysics in which the same sentiment was expressed, though I can't trace it at the moment.

"Why is math in astrophysics said to be a lot easier?" Who said that? Where did you get this claim from? Any reference supporting it?

In astronomy/astrophysics many different science disciplines are applied, including all the difficulties they bring from their respective domains. You pointed out "theoretical physics" for comparison. You can be sure, that most of the areas of theoretical physics has to be applied in order to build successful models in astrophysics.

Pleonasm said:
Nobody told me. The claim is from several sources, among them a public conversation between scientists I saw on youtube in which the female astronomer remarked that she went into astronomy/astrophysics originally because it was less heavy on math than other branches of physics. There was also a thread in here about the astronomy/astrophysics in which the same sentiment was expressed, though I can't trace it at the moment.

Please provide those references.

In the meantime, I suggest you go on arXiv and look at all the theoretical papers in Astrophysics.

Zz.

lomidrevo said:
"Why is math in astrophysics said to be a lot easier?" Who said that? Where did you get this claim from? Any reference supporting it?

In astronomy/astrophysics many different science disciplines are applied, including all the difficulties they bring from their respective domains. You pointed out "theoretical physics" for comparison. You can be sure, that most of the areas of theoretical physics has to be applied in order to build successful models in astrophysics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/pure-math-in-astrophysics-suggestions-needed.148919/"Honestly there really isn't a lot of higher-level pure math in astrophysics proper. You might find some uses for group theory or algebra if you get into writing or optimizing codes (computer programs) for simulations. Analysis won't matter, since astrophysicists really aren't concerned with the way numbers are constructed. Algebra won't matter, since you're not really concerned with any formal logic. You might find a few applications of the conclusions of geometric topology here and there. You'd definitely find many applications of tensor calculus.

In general, though, I don't think you're going to find much pure math in astrophysics. I am not, however, an astrophysicist, so perhaps someone else can give a more reliable answer."

- Warren

Pleonasm said:
I am not, however, an astrophysicist, so perhaps someone else can give a more reliable answer."

Well, what can we add...

Btw. no need to put all the post in bold. I can get the point without that...

lomidrevo said:
Well, what can we add...

Doesn't mean he's wrong. I have heard it said by actual astrophysicists too.

Pleonasm said:

OK. Then go to see some papers on arXiv as @ZapperZ suggest above, or look into some serious (advanced) astrophysics textbooks (not the pop-science stuff) and let us know how easy do you consider the "math" after.

Pleonasm said:

You quoted ONE post by ONE person, while you ignored all the other responses posted in that thread.

Zz.

Likes lomidrevo
ZapperZ said:
You quoted ONE post by ONE person, while you ignored all the other responses posted in that thread.

Zz.

No I did not. Nobody of equal merit (science advisor, staff emeritus) disputed him or had anything useful to add to the topic. He talked about pure astrophysics, not interdisciplinary physics.

Pleonasm said:
No I did not. Nobody of equal merit (science advisor, staff emeritus) disputed him or had anything useful to add to the topic. He talked about pure astrophysics, not interdisciplinary physics.

Gokul is chopped liver?

I really don't know what this is all about. You asked. I will tell you that the math is NOT easier.

Am I of "equal merit"?

Otherwise, I'm done, because you seem already fixed with your view. If you think that the math in astrophysics is "easier", go with it!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Gokul is chopped liver?

I really don't know what this is all about. You asked. I will tell you that the math is NOT easier.

Am I of "equal merit"?

Otherwise, I'm done, because you seem already fixed with your view. If you think that the math in astrophysics is "easier", go with it!

Zz.

And your background is... not astronomy. If we are to apply the same standard to him as to you, your opinion goes in the bin as well:smile: You most likely had harder math in your graduate than the astronomy/astrophysics graduate. The question is why... I'm guessing investigation into the properties of astronomical objects is not quote: "math intricate" as opposed to string theory, say.

This thread is ridiculous. You were asked to provide citations form proper journals. You did not do that. I am a biologist, but in my area I use math often. I have 5 undergraduate and 3 graduate level math courses. And I try to stay out of math, astrophysics and physics threads because I do not know enough math. Broke my own rule this time.

This pattern of getting some very vague or out of date citation and then not listening to anyone with a decent background in the subject has to stop. You have done this repeatedly in other Biology threads - please learn that there may be people here trying to help. Whom you do not have the background to assess.

I am stopping it now.

Likes phinds, bentleyghioda, lomidrevo and 2 others

Related to Why is math in astrophysics said to be a lot easier?

1. Why is math considered to be easier in astrophysics compared to other fields of science?

Math in astrophysics is often considered easier because it is based on fundamental physical laws and principles that can be described and modeled using mathematical equations. This allows for a more direct application of math to solve complex problems in astrophysics.

2. Is the math used in astrophysics different from other branches of math?

The math used in astrophysics is not fundamentally different from other branches of math. However, it may involve more specialized techniques and concepts that are specific to astrophysics, such as celestial coordinates, orbital mechanics, and the use of complex numbers.

3. Do astrophysicists need to be math geniuses to excel in their field?

Astrophysicists do not necessarily need to be math geniuses, but they do need to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Much like any other field of science, proficiency in math is important for conducting research and making accurate predictions in astrophysics.

4. Can non-mathematicians still understand the concepts in astrophysics?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful in understanding the complex concepts in astrophysics, it is not a requirement. Many popular science books and articles on astrophysics are written in a way that is accessible to non-mathematicians, making it possible for anyone to learn about and appreciate the wonders of the universe.

5. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of math to appreciate the beauty of astrophysics?

One of the reasons why math is often said to be easier in astrophysics is because it can help explain and quantify the beauty and complexity of the universe. However, a deep understanding of math is not necessary to appreciate the wonders of astrophysics. Many people find the images, theories, and discoveries in astrophysics to be awe-inspiring and beautiful without fully understanding the math behind them.