Why is Muon Charge Ratio Positive?

In summary, the charge ratio of muons coming from cosmic rays is slightly more positive than negative. This may be due to the overwhelmingly positive charge of the cosmic rays, or to the way the Earth's magnetosphere affects the ratio.
dt19
Hi,
Could anyone explain to me why it is that cosmic radiation supplies slightly more positive than negative muons? I know that negative muons disappear a little faster than the positive ones as they can decay or be captured, but I don't know if this would have any impact on what I'm asking.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a paper I found on Google:
http://www.cosmic-ray.org/papers/icrc733-1833.pdf

There are several possible reasons for a small charge asymmetry:
1) Charge of incident cosmic ray (proton or alpha) is overwhelmingly positive.
2) Does the Earth's magnetospheric field polarity matter? Probably will affect the east-west ratio (Lorentz force qv x B).
3) Negative muons rarely do not decay, even in muonic nitrogen and oxygen. They ~never form muonic atoms before stopping. For negative muons captured in iron or higher. most muons are absorbed.
4) CP violating K-decay modes?
5) There is a very very slight dE/dx Bethe-Bloch range asymmetry in stopping +/- muons.
I am puzzled if there is a significant effect. Hadronic showers create muons mostly via pion or kaon decay.
Bob S

[added] See Phys. Rev. D 74, 082006 (2006) [8 pages]
The charge ratio of the atmospheric muons at low energy
The effect is attributed to the geomagnetic field.

Last edited:
The charge ratio obtained for muons coming from pious produced in proton
interactions was Zpπ+ it /Zpπ- = 1.46. Muons from kaons tend to increase the charge ratio,
and hadronic cascades in the atmosphere tend to decrease it, as do neutrons present in
primary nuclei.
from paper cited by Bob S.

I would expect it has to do with the overwhelmingly positive charge of incident cosmic rays (protons) which strike ordinary matter (protons and neutrons). It would seem to factor production of π+ and K+. That seems to be a conclusion in the paper.

Here is another newer measurement:
http://prd.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v76/i5/e052003
indicating a μ+- charge ratio ≈1.37, consistent with kaon decay asymmetry predictions at very high energies.
Phys. Rev. D 76, 052003 (2007) [16 pages]
Measurement of the atmospheric muon charge ratio at TeV energies with the MINOS detector
Abstract
P. Adamson et al. MINOS Collaboration

The 5.4 kton MINOS far detector has been taking charge-separated cosmic ray muon data since the beginning of August, 2003 at a depth of 2070 m.w.e. in the Soudan Underground Laboratory, Minnesota, USA. The data with both forward and reversed magnetic field running configurations were combined to minimize systematic errors in the determination of the underground muon charge ratio. When averaged, two independent analyses find the charge ratio underground to be Nμ+/Nμ-=1.374±0.004(stat)-0.010+0.012(sys). Using the map of the Soudan rock overburden, the muon momenta as measured underground were projected to the corresponding values at the surface in the energy range 1–7 TeV. Within this range of energies at the surface, the MINOS data are consistent with the charge ratio being energy independent at the 2 standard deviation level. When the MINOS results are compared with measurements at lower energies, a clear rise in the charge ratio in the energy range 0.3–1.0 TeV is apparent. A qualitative model shows that the rise is consistent with an increasing contribution of kaon decays to the muon charge ratio.

Bob S

Monte-Carlo multi-particle-transport-simulation-code FLUKA simulations of cosmic ray showers show that the μ+- ratio >1.3 is due largely to the production ratio of strangeness +1 K+ to strangeness -1 K-, which decay (usually by charged pions) to μ+ and μ- respectively. See Fig. 2 in
http://www.srl.utu.fi/AuxDOC/kocharov/ICRC2009/pdf/icrc0177.pdf
Bob S

Related to Why is Muon Charge Ratio Positive?

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle that is similar to an electron but with a larger mass. It is classified as a type of lepton and is present in cosmic rays, as well as being produced in particle accelerators.

2. Why is the muon charge ratio positive?

The muon charge ratio is positive because muons have a positive charge. They have the same charge as an electron, but with a larger mass. This positive charge is essential for the muon to interact with other particles and be detected in experiments.

3. How is the muon charge ratio measured?

The muon charge ratio is measured by detecting the number of positively and negatively charged muons in a given sample. This is usually done using specialized detectors, such as cloud chambers or particle detectors in particle accelerators. The ratio is then calculated by dividing the number of positive muons by the number of negative muons.

4. What factors can affect the muon charge ratio?

The muon charge ratio can be affected by various factors, such as the energy of the muons, the material they pass through, and the presence of other particles in the sample. Additionally, the magnetic field in the environment can also affect the muon charge ratio, as muons are charged particles and are affected by magnetic fields.

5. What is the significance of a positive muon charge ratio?

A positive muon charge ratio is significant because it confirms the existence and characteristics of muons as predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. It also provides valuable information about the properties of cosmic rays and the behavior of subatomic particles in high-energy environments.