Why is my 7 segment display not working in Multisim?

• Thread starter lissette
  • Start date
In summary, the circuit works fine in Multisim, but when connected to a 7-segment display, an error is displayed.
lissette
I was wiring my circuit in Multisim which has a 7 segment display (common anode). I connected common anode to +5 through a 330 resistor. Then I was connecting pins for a-g to the circuit I constructed. I know the circuit is correct because I simply put probes to see if the outputs were correct and they were, although when I connected the outputs of my circuit to the 7 segment display I keep getting an error. Does anybody have an idea why or what I should try?

Engineering news on Phys.org
lissette said:
...I keep getting an error. Does anybody have an idea why or what I should try?
What error are you referring to?

May be it is a common cathode one.

I'm having the same problem here, can anybody help? It is an common anode. I tried putting probe at the outputs of they decade counter and they light up all right. But the seven segment desplay just wouldn't light up!

Attachments

• seven segment.jpg
    seven segment.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 10,817
  • error.jpg
    error.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 2,189
The 7447 is a decoder which turns Binary Coded Decimal to 7 segment output.

If an output is low, it will sink current from a LED of the display. So, if you are seeing all high outputs, then the LEDs will be turned off.

The 7447 has a lamp test feature. You connect the "LT" pin (pin 3) to ground and all outputs (QA to QG) should go low and turn on all segments of the display.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
The 7447 is a decoder which turns Binary Coded Decimal to 7 segment output.

If an output is low, it will sink current from a LED of the display. So, if you are seeing all high outputs, then the LEDs will be turned off.

Th 7447 has a lamp test feature. You connect the "LT" pin (pin 3) to ground and all outputs (QA to QG) should go low and turn on all segments of the display.

Thanks for the tip...I grounded the LT pin but the outputs were still HIGH.

The diagram doesn't show power (5 volts) on pin 16 or ground on pin 8. Are these really connected?

vk6kro said:
The diagram doesn't show power (5 volts) on pin 16 or ground on pin 8. Are these really connected?

yeah...here in multisim the pins are not shown and there is no need to connect them since they are already connected by default, I think. I've experimented with other IC and there is no problem.

I found a website that seems to deal with this.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=370&thread.id=2287

However, it does suggest putting 12 volts on TTL devices, which is crazy.
The other suggestions may be useful, though and even the 12 V one won't really blow anything up in a simulator.

I have an old EWB but not Multisim, so I can't try them.

I home school my 12 year old son. We do an electronic lab every week.

This is a working Binary into a 7-segment display EWB circuit.

I build this circuit for my son to simulate and to create a truth table.

Let me know how it works out for you:

Jack

Attachments

• Seven Segment LED EWB Circuit 02.jpg
    Seven Segment LED EWB Circuit 02.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 8,608
wrong thread, sorry

FAQ: Why is my 7 segment display not working in Multisim?

1. What is a 7 segment display in Multisim?

A 7 segment display in Multisim is a digital display component that consists of 7 individual segments, each of which can be turned on or off to display numbers and some letters. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, digital clocks, and other digital displays.

2. How do I add a 7 segment display in Multisim?

To add a 7 segment display in Multisim, go to the component library and search for "7 segment display". Then, click and drag the component onto the workspace. You can then connect it to other components using wires.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the 7 segment display in Multisim?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the 7 segment display in Multisim by changing the color and size of the segments. You can also add a decimal point or a colon in between the segments if needed.

4. How do I control the 7 segment display in Multisim?

The 7 segment display in Multisim can be controlled by using a logic circuit or a microcontroller. You can input a binary number or a BCD (binary-coded decimal) number to display on the segments.

5. Can I simulate the behavior of the 7 segment display in Multisim?

Yes, you can simulate the behavior of the 7 segment display in Multisim by using the simulation tool. This allows you to test different inputs and see how the display responds, helping you to troubleshoot any potential issues in your circuit.