Why is my answer wrong? (statistics)

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, when your answer is wrong even though you followed all the steps correctly, it could be due to an error in one of the steps, the data or formula used, or a crucial factor that was missed. To check if your answer is correct, double-check your calculations and consider using a different statistical tool or having someone else review your work. While statistical software is generally reliable, it's important to double-check results and consider the sample size and data reliability. If your answer is significantly different from your hypothesis, carefully review your data and calculations and seek guidance if needed. It's never advisable to manipulate data or analysis to get a different answer, as this can lead to biased or inaccurate results.
Artusartos
Let [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] be the mean of a random sample of size n from a distribution that is [itex]N(\mu,9)[/itex]. Find n such that [itex]P(\bar{X}-1 < \mu < \bar{X}+1)=.90[/itex], approximately.

My answer:

[tex]-Z^* < \frac{\bar{X}-\mu}{9/\sqrt(n)} < Z^* [/tex] where [itex]-Z^*[/itex] and [itex]Z^*[/itex] are the critical values.

So...

For the confidence interval, we have [tex]\bar{x} \pm z^*(\frac{9}{\sqrt(n)})[/tex]

When I looked up the normal table for [itex]z^*[/itex], I found that it was approximately equal to 1.29Since the question tells us that the confidence interval is [tex]\bar{X} \pm 1 [/tex], so I just solved [tex]1 = (1.29)(\frac{9}{\sqrt(n)})[/tex]...but my answer was wrong...it was supposed to be 24 or 25. Can anybody please help?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A probability of 0.9 to be inside gives a probability of 0.05 for both sides. You have to look for 0.95 and not 0.90. In addition, this value should be at the other side of your =.

Artusartos said:
Let [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] be the mean of a random sample of size n from a distribution that is [itex]N(\mu,9)[/itex]. Find n such that [itex]P(\bar{X}-1 < \mu < \bar{X}+1)=.90[/itex], approximately.

My answer:

[tex]-Z^* < \frac{\bar{X}-\mu}{9/\sqrt(n)} < Z^* [/tex] where [itex]-Z^*[/itex] and [itex]Z^*[/itex] are the critical values.

So...

For the confidence interval, we have [tex]\bar{x} \pm z^*(\frac{9}{\sqrt(n)})[/tex]

When I looked up the normal table for [itex]z^*[/itex], I found that it was approximately equal to 1.29Since the question tells us that the confidence interval is [tex]\bar{X} \pm 1 [/tex], so I just solved [tex]1 = (1.29)(\frac{9}{\sqrt(n)})[/tex]...but my answer was wrong...it was supposed to be 24 or 25. Can anybody please help?

Thanks in advance

Besides what 'mfb' has told you, there is always the issue of what the '9' means in N(μ,9). Most commonly, the notation is ## N(\mu, \sigma^2), ## so that ##\sigma = 3.## I have seen the other notation ##N(\mu,\sigma)## used occasionally, but it is rarer. You need to check the convention used by your textbook and/or course notes. (I won't spoil your fun by telling you the answer.)

Last edited:

Related to Why is my answer wrong? (statistics)

1. Why is my answer wrong even though I followed all the steps correctly?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that there was an error in one of the steps that you didn't catch. It's also possible that there was an error in the data or the formula you used. Additionally, statistical analyses can be complex and have many different factors that can affect the results, so it's possible that you missed a crucial factor that influenced your answer.

2. How can I check if my answer is correct?

The best way to check if your answer is correct is to double-check all of your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps. It's also a good idea to run your analysis again with a different statistical tool or software to see if you get the same results. Additionally, it's always a good idea to have someone else review your work to catch any potential errors.

3. Can I trust the statistical software's results?

Statistical software is designed to accurately analyze data and provide results, but it's not infallible. It's always a good idea to double-check your results and make sure they align with your calculations and expectations. Additionally, you should also consider the sample size and reliability of the data used in the analysis.

4. What should I do if my answer is significantly different from my hypothesis?

If your answer is significantly different from your hypothesis, it's important to take a step back and carefully review your data and calculations. It's possible that there was an error in your analysis or that your hypothesis was incorrect. If you're still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or seek guidance from a statistician.

5. Can I make any changes to my data or analysis to get a different answer?

It's never a good idea to manipulate your data or analysis to get a different answer. This can lead to biased or inaccurate results. If you have concerns about your answer, it's best to go back and review your steps and potentially seek guidance from a statistician or consult additional sources to see if there are any other factors that may have affected your results.