Why Is My Chair Moving on Its Own?

• B
  • Thread starter Knucklehead
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving their neighbors who live above them. The neighbors have been stomping on the ceiling and recently started causing the person's chair and sofa to vibrate and shake without making any noise. The person believes the neighbors are somehow causing this and is asking for possible explanations, but it is suggested that it may be a medical condition or all in their head. The thread has been locked.
Knucklehead
Hello. I need help from you guys. I'm in a battle with the neighbors who are living above me. They stomp on my thin ceiling. After a few months I caught them waiting until I go to sleep and bothering me by shaking my unit somehow. I retaliated by nudging, not hitting, the ceiling. It seemed to work. So I thought...

They have now caused a problem I can't begin to solve. Here goes...I have a metal frame recliner and a sofa. So now whenever I sit in either, I get sensation of the cushion slowly expanding and contracting under my ass and back. They are able to do this over and over again silently. I lay down on carpet and could feel slight tremble. Its a slow and steady inflate and deflate. And when its near full expansion they are able to shake me in my chair a little. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its not from my neighbor below. Shes a 92 year old woman. I live on the 4th floor and neighbors causing problem are on top floor - 5th. How would you cause this to someones chair who lived below you? High speed vibration? magnets? Magic...

The only reasonable explanation is one you probably don't want to hear. This is either all in your head or you have a medical condition. If this continues I would see your doctor or some sort of health professional. It's simply not possible for your neighbors to be affecting you in this way through any means known to science. Thread locked.

Likes SammyS, davenn and Tazerfish

FAQ: Why Is My Chair Moving on Its Own?

1. What is the most common reason for my chair to move?

The most common reason for a chair to move is because someone is sitting on it. The weight and movement of a person can cause a chair to shift or slide.

2. Why does my chair move when I lean back?

When you lean back in your chair, you are shifting your center of gravity. This can cause the chair to tilt or move. Additionally, if the chair is on a slick surface or has wheels, it may move more easily when you lean back.

3. Can the type of flooring affect how my chair moves?

Yes, the type of flooring can have an impact on how your chair moves. Chairs with wheels may move more easily on hard, smooth surfaces like hardwood or tile, while they may have more resistance on carpet. Additionally, uneven or bumpy floors may cause a chair to wobble or move more unpredictably.

4. What can I do to prevent my chair from moving?

You can prevent your chair from moving by adjusting the height and angle of the chair to fit your body comfortably. Additionally, using a chair mat on carpet or a gripper pad on a slick surface can provide more stability. If you are constantly experiencing movement in your chair, it may be a sign that the chair is not the right fit for you and you may need to consider a different one.

5. Is there a possibility that external factors are causing my chair to move?

Yes, external factors can contribute to a chair's movement. For example, if the floor is uneven or the chair is on a slope, this can cause the chair to move. Also, vibrations from nearby machinery or traffic may also cause a chair to shake or move slightly.

Back