Why is my compound pendulum experiment not proving Rouths Rule?

In summary, the conversation involves a person who is having trouble proving a basic compound pendulum theory using a long thin bar experiment. They have been changing the length of the bar and measuring the time period, using the equation tau = 2 pi * sqrt((k^2 + h^2) / g * h) to find a local estimate for g (gravity) and k (radius of gyration). However, they have been getting conflicting results and are seeking help. EmilyM provides a suggestion to use k^2 = (L^2)/12 instead of k^2 = (L^2)/3 in the equation, which resolves the issue. The conversation also includes a discussion on the best formula for tau and how to
EmilyM
I'm having some trouble prooving a basic compound pendulum theory - my company makes a piece of kit designed to do just that.

In a simple experiment involving a long thin bar which is set on a knife edge and allowed to swing freely I have been changing the length of the bar and measuring the time period.

The equation is tau = 2 pi * sqrt((k^2 + h^2) / g * h) designed to enable us to find a local estimate for g (gravity) and k - the radius of gyration of the rod. Plotting a graph and rearranging the eqn into y = mx + c gives an estimation of 9.84 for gravity (very good) and 0.268 for k.

The theory for k is simple, Rouths Rule states k^2 = (L^2) / 3. This gives k = 0.528.

Help. Have redone the expt over and over with increasing accuracy to no avail. Am confident that Rouths Rule holds as is 12.7mm diameter st/st rod with L = 915mm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
EmilyM: If you want to use tau = 2*pi*[(k^2 + h^2)/(g*h)]^0.5, then you must use k^2 = (L^2)/12, not k^2 = (L^2)/3. But if you want to use k^2 = (L^2)/3, then you must use tau = 2*pi*[(0.25*k^2 + h^2)/(g*h)]^0.5. See if this resolves your problem.

Oh dear! Well that's what it is then, works perfectly now - thank you so much!

Ps, tau is the letter representing time period in the textbooks/refs I've been using...

I should also mention, the best form for your tau formula is the one you listed in your first post (which is the same as the first tau formula I listed in my post), because it is general, and is therefore applicable to any object shape. Then, for your current, particular bar shape (a uniform bar), use k^2 = (L^2)/12.

I agree, and I also now understand that my experiment was finding k at the centre of mass but the original formula I was using to find theoretical k (k^2 = (L^2) / 3) is to find k at the end of the bar.

k^2 = (L^2)/12 finds k at the centre of mass and this is what i wanted. The two are ofcourse related by the parallel axis theorem so that to 'move' from k at the centre of mass to k at the end of the bar you must add on a factor which is the distance squared, in this case (L/2)^2 or (L^2)/4. Then we have k^2 = (L^2)/12 + (L^2)/4 = (L^2)/12 + 3(L^2)/12 = 4(L^2)/12 = (L^2)/3 (most people could probably have skipped a few steps there but I'm happier with the maths if i write it long hand)

Very well said, EmilyM.

FAQ: Why is my compound pendulum experiment not proving Rouths Rule?

1. What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a physical system consisting of a rigid body that is suspended from a fixed point and has an additional pivot point. It is different from a simple pendulum, which has only one pivot point.

2. What is the equation for the period of a compound pendulum?

The equation for the period of a compound pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period, l is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the mass of the compound pendulum affect its period?

The mass of the compound pendulum does not affect its period, as long as the length and angle of the pendulum remain constant. The period is solely dependent on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the length of the compound pendulum affect its period?

The length of the compound pendulum is directly proportional to its period. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, so does its period. This relationship is described by the equation T = 2π√(l/g).

5. What factors affect the accuracy of a compound pendulum experiment?

The accuracy of a compound pendulum experiment can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the measurements, the friction in the pivot points, and the external forces acting on the pendulum. Additionally, the accuracy can also be affected by the angle of the pendulum and the amplitude of its oscillations.