Why is my electromagnet not producing any current?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice from the Guru Engineers on why they are not seeing any current produced when using a strong magnet and oscillating it up and down a ferrite rod with 650 coils of super thin, insulated copper wire. The engineers suggest trying different methods, such as wiggling the magnet at one end of the rod and checking the resistance of the coil, and using different settings on the amp-meter. They also mention that the output is AC and suggest trying a DC setting on the meter. The individual expresses gratitude for the explanations and plans to try again.
ramonegumpert
Dear Guru Engineers,

I made 650 coils round a ferrite rod of cirumference about 2cm using super thin (like hair) copper wire that is insulated by some kind of yellowish golden orangy 'lacquer'. I hope you get the picture what i am trying to describe here :p

Anyways, i used a strong magnet and oscillated it up and down the shaft of the ferrite rod.

I sandpapered the ends of the wires terminating on the rod and hook them up to the amp-meter. nothing. seemed like no current produced at all??

pls could you explain what could be the problem and was my method wrong?

sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
ramonegumpert said:
Dear Guru Engineers,

I made 650 coils round a ferrite rod of cirumference about 2cm using super thin (like hair) copper wire that is insulated by some kind of yellowish golden orangy 'lacquer'. I hope you get the picture what i am trying to describe here :p

Anyways, i used a strong magnet and oscillated it up and down the shaft of the ferrite rod.

I sandpapered the ends of the wires terminating on the rod and hook them up to the amp-meter. nothing. seemed like no current produced at all??

pls could you explain what could be the problem and was my method wrong?

sincerely
Ramone

Moving the magnet up and down the mid-shaft area doesn't change the flux through the turns. Try wiggling the magnet at one end of the rod.

Also, put your meter on an AC Volts setting. You will see the induced EMF from the changing flux through the coils.

And check the resistance of the coil.
You may not have removed the insulation doing it like that.

I lay the wire on a hardwood surface and scrape with a razor blade until I can see copper and solder to it.

cleaning wire.PNG

Dear Berkeman & Vk6kro,

I am very grateful for your explanations. This forum rocks!
I never knew the output was AC . 8)
Will try again.

Best regards
Ramone

If you approach the end of the ferrite rod with one pole of a strong magnet, the output will be DC until you reverse the direction of the magnet or stop moving the magnet (when you will get nothing).

Your meter will be more sensitive on the DC ranges because the AC range has a diode in series with the input.

So, try it on DC volts first until you get some sort of a reading. If there is a 200 mV range, try that first.

Then, you could try putting a voltage on it and seeing if you can deflect a compass needle or pick up small nails etc.

FAQ: Why is my electromagnet not producing any current?

1. Why is my electromagnet not attracting objects?

There could be several reasons why your electromagnet is not working. It could be due to a loose connection, damaged wire, or insufficient power supply. Check all the connections and make sure the wire is not damaged. Also, ensure that your power supply is supplying enough current to activate the electromagnet.

2. How can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

To increase the strength of your electromagnet, you can add more turns to the coil or use a stronger magnet in the core. You can also increase the current flowing through the wire, but be careful not to exceed the maximum limit as it can damage the wire.

3. Why is my electromagnet heating up?

If your electromagnet is heating up, it could be due to excessive current flowing through the wire. This can happen if the power supply is not regulated, or the wire is too thin to handle the current. Make sure to use an appropriate power supply and wire gauge to avoid overheating.

4. Can I use any type of wire for my electromagnet?

No, not all wires are suitable for making an electromagnet. You need a wire with low resistance, such as copper wire, to allow a high current to flow through it. Also, the wire should be insulated to prevent short circuits.

5. How can I test if my electromagnet is working?

To test if your electromagnet is working, you can use a compass or a small piece of iron or paper clip. Place it near the electromagnet and see if it gets attracted or repelled. You can also use a multimeter to measure the current flowing through the wire and make sure it is within the safe range.

Back