Why is my equation not working for finding the angles of a triangle?

• Thread starter LogarithmLuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a triangle where one angle is 4 times larger than another angle. The equation 4x+x+180-5x=180 is set up to find the angles, but it is shown that this equation does not work due to not having enough information. The conversation concludes by explaining the concept of an underdetermined system and how it relates to the problem at hand.
LogarithmLuke
So given a problem where you have a triangle. One angle in the triangle is 4 times larger than another angle. How big are each of the angles?

So i set up the equation 4x+x+180-5x=180

One angle is 4 times large than another, hence 4x. The angles must add up to 180 because it's a triangle. The last one has to be 180 minus the the two others(4x+x). I see that the equation won't work because the x's cancel out, but i don't understand why this is not correct. I feel like I am missing out on something very basic and obvious but i can't seem to figure out what it is. Could someone help me out?

Btw i wasnt sure whether to put this here or in the homework section, Perhaps you mods could move it if it doesen't belong here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is because you don't have enough information.
You could have (1, 4, 175), (2, 8, 170), etc.

To better explain, you have what is called an underdetermined system.
## \left\{ \begin{array}{l l } x + y + z = 180 \\ 4x - y = 0 \end{array} \right. ##
Note that you have 3 variables and only two equations.
You can narrow down the possibilities, by constraining x, y, z to be positive values. Then you have 0< x < 36, giving 0 < y < 144, but still unless you know something else about the system, you will not find an answer.

In your equation that you built, you essentially used the same constraint equation twice. This gave you a tautological (always true) equation, 180 = 180.
Using x + y + z = 180 to define z = 180-x - y, and then substituting back into the same equation gives x + y + 180 - x -y = 180, just like you found. If you could find another relationship, you could hope to solve for one, and thus all, of the angles.

Related to Why is my equation not working for finding the angles of a triangle?

1. Why am I getting an error when I try to solve my equation?

There are a few possible reasons why you may be getting an error when trying to solve an equation. One possibility is that there is a mistake in your equation, such as a missing operator or incorrect order of operations. Another possibility is that the values you are using in your equation are not compatible, such as trying to take the square root of a negative number. Additionally, there could be an issue with the software or calculator you are using to solve the equation.

2. Why is my equation not giving me the expected result?

If your equation is not giving you the expected result, it is possible that there is a mistake in your equation or the values you are using. It is important to double check your equation and make sure all variables and operators are correct. Another possibility is that your equation may be missing a step or using incorrect formulas. It is also possible that there is a technical issue with the software or calculator you are using.

3. Why won't my equation work for all values?

Some equations may only work for certain values, depending on the variables and operations used. For example, an equation with a denominator of zero will not work for any value that makes the denominator equal to zero. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of your equation in order to use it effectively.

4. Why is my equation giving me a complex solution?

If your equation is giving you a complex solution, it means that the answer involves imaginary numbers. This can happen when taking the square root of a negative number or using complex operations. It is important to understand the context of the problem you are solving and whether complex solutions are appropriate.

5. Why does my equation give different results when I use different methods?

There are often multiple methods for solving an equation, and each method may give slightly different results. This could be due to rounding errors, different assumptions or approximations used in each method, or other factors. It is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each method in order to choose the most appropriate one for your problem.