Why Is My Integration of the Region Between y=2x and y=x^2+3x-6 Incorrect?

• Thread starter FuturEngineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary: You should be subtracting the line from the parabola.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the region bounded by two equations, y= 2x and y= x^2 + 3x - 6. The points of intersection are found to be x= -3 and 2, with the conclusion that y= x^2 + 3x -6 is the larger equation. The attempt at a solution involves integrating x^2 + 3x - 6 - 2x, but the answer does not match the book's answer of 81/32. The suggestion to try x=0 is given, as it is an easy number to try and may prevent errors. It is then determined that the
FuturEngineer

Homework Statement

Find the region bounded by y= 2x and y = x^2 + 3x - 6.
I found the points of intersection to be x= -3, 2 by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for x.
I concluded that y = x^2+3x-6 is bigger since I tried a point in between the points of intersection and it came out to be greater.

Homework Equations

y =2x
y= x^2+3x-6
x= -3, 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integrating x^2+3x-6 dx from -3 to 2. But it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
I also tried separating the integrals and integrating from -3 to 0, and from 0 to 2, but doesn't seem to work either. The back of my book says that the answer should be 81/32 but I don't know how they got there. Help!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention it should be integrating x^2+3x-6 - 2x (the other line).

FuturEngineer said:
Does this mean that now you do know what to integrate ?

FuturEngineer said:

Homework Statement

Find the region bounded by y= 2x and y = x^2 + 3x - 6.
I found the points of intersection to be x= -3, 2 by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for x.
I concluded that y = x^2+3x-6 is bigger since I tried a point in between the points of intersection and it came out to be greater.
Did you try ##x=0##?

LCKurtz said:
Did you try ##x=0##?
No, why 0 though? Then y= 2x == 0 and the other equation would be -6. Is that what you mean?

SammyS said:
Does this mean that now you do know what to integrate ?
That's what I tried integrating but its not correct according to my book...

FuturEngineer said:

LCKurtz said:
Did you try ##x=0##?

FuturEngineer said:
No, why 0 though? Then y= 2x == 0 and the other equation would be -6. Is that what you mean?

The reason I suggested trying ##x=0## is it is the easiest, hence less error-prone, number to try. It might have prevented whatever error you made. You have your upper and lower curves reversed.

Related to Why Is My Integration of the Region Between y=2x and y=x^2+3x-6 Incorrect?

1. What is the purpose of finding the region between two curves?

The region between two curves is commonly used to calculate the area or volume of a particular shape. It can also be used to determine the intersection points of the two curves.

2. How do you find the boundaries of the region between two curves?

The boundaries of the region between two curves are typically found by setting the two curves equal to each other and solving for the x-values. These x-values will be the boundaries of the region.

3. Can the region between two curves have a negative area?

Yes, the region between two curves can have a negative area if one of the curves lies below the other. In this case, the area between the curves will be negative and represents the difference between the areas above and below the x-axis.

4. How do you calculate the area of the region between two curves?

The area of the region between two curves can be calculated by integrating the difference between the two curves with respect to the x-axis. This will give the total area between the two curves.

5. What if the two curves do not intersect, can there still be a region between them?

Yes, even if the two curves do not intersect, there can still be a region between them. This region will have a finite width and can still be calculated using integration methods.