Why Is My Physics Professor Giving Contradictory Advice?

• Thread starter Pork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Hi
In summary, a gas expands isothermally from 0.550 m3 to 1.25 m3 at a constant temperature of 610 K. If the initial pressure is 1.10*10^5 Pa, the work done on the gas is 49.6 kJ. The thermal energy transfer is Q. If the internal energy of the gas decreases by 8.60 J, the amount of heat removed from the system by heat during the compression is 195.6 kJ.
Pork
HI I'm new here. I've been having a little bit of trouble with a few of my physics problems. It seems like very basic stuff. I went to my professor's office hours and he didn't help me. He told me the wrong stuff, and when I emailed him back, he said different stuff.

1)
An ideal monatomic gas expands isothermally from 0.550 m^3 to 1.25 m^3 at a constant temperature of 610 K. If the initial pressure is 1.10*10^5 Pa.
(a) Find the work done on the gas.

(b) Find the thermal energy transfer Q.

The internal energy is 0J, therefor -W=Q. I tried nRT*ln(V_f/V_i) but that didn't come out. I'm not really sure what else to do.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) A gas is enclosed in a container fitted with a piston of cross-sectional area 0.150 m2. The pressure of the gas is maintained at 5800 Pa as the piston moves inward 21.5 cm.

(b) If the internal energy of the gas decreases by 8.60 J, find the amount of heat removed from the system by heat during the compression.

I calculated the work done by using W=F*A*d, which comes out to be around -187. From there I tried using delta U = W + Q. Which would be -8.60=.187 + Q. However, my Q isn't correct, it is however within 10% of the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Pork said:
HI I'm new here. I've been having a little bit of trouble with a few of my physics problems. It seems like very basic stuff. I went to my professor's office hours and he didn't help me. He told me the wrong stuff, and when I emailed him back, he said different stuff.

1)
An ideal monatomic gas expands isothermally from 0.550 m^3 to 1.25 m^3 at a constant temperature of 610 K. If the initial pressure is 1.10*10^5 Pa.
(a) Find the work done on the gas.

(b) Find the thermal energy transfer Q.

The internal energy is 0J, therefor -W=Q. I tried nRT*ln(V_f/V_i) but that didn't come out. I'm not really sure what else to do.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) A gas is enclosed in a container fitted with a piston of cross-sectional area 0.150 m2. The pressure of the gas is maintained at 5800 Pa as the piston moves inward 21.5 cm.

(b) If the internal energy of the gas decreases by 8.60 J, find the amount of heat removed from the system by heat during the compression.

I calculated the work done by using W=F*A*d, which comes out to be around -187. From there I tried using delta U = W + Q. Which would be -8.60=.187 + Q. However, my Q isn't correct, it is however within 10% of the correct answer.

First of all I use the convention:
Q = U + W
If the gass expands, W is positive

1) W = nRT ln(Vf/Vi) = PV ln(Vf/Vi) = 1.10*0.550*105 ln(1.25/0.55) = 49.6 kJ
Q = W = 49.6 kJ

2) You are using your convention wrong. if U = W + Q, W is negative when gas expands, so, in this conventiuon, W = +187J and Q = -8.6 - 187 = -195.6J

You can use Q = U+W and it would give the same result
But in this case W = -187J, Q = -195.6J

Thanks for the help on those two. Any idea how to solve the work from these two graphs?
http://i.imgur.com/cRLxY.png

Related to Why Is My Physics Professor Giving Contradictory Advice?

What is the main issue you are having?

The main issue I am having is that I am new to this platform and I am having trouble navigating and using some of the features.

Have you tried reaching out for help?

Yes, I have reached out for help by searching for tutorials and asking for assistance from more experienced users.

What specific features are you having trouble with?

I am having trouble with the messaging system and understanding how to properly format my posts.

How long have you been using this platform?

I have only been using this platform for a few days, so I am still learning and getting used to it.

Do you have any suggestions for improving your experience?

I think having more tutorials and guides for beginners would be helpful. It would also be great to have a support team readily available for any questions or issues.