Why Is My Series Error Estimate Calculation Incorrect?

In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, the student is asking for assistance with a question regarding an integral and has already attempted to solve it following the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test. They have arrived at a result of 1/(6(n^6)) and have correctly identified an error in their inequality. The correct solution should be n > 3, rather than n = 3. The expert advises the student to double check their work and encourages them to continue their studies.
Umar
Hey, I have a quick question here from my assignment. I thought it did it right the first time but I got the wrong answer, and I can't possibly seem to find anything wrong with my solution. Any ideas?

Link to Question:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So, I started by solving the integral by following the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test, and got 1/(6(n^6)). Again, I'm pretty sure there is no mistake in getting to that result (bounds: n to infinity, so I took the limit as t approaches infinity and replaced the upper bound with t).

I came to the following inequality:

1/(6(n^6)) < 0.0001

Solving this inequality, I got n = 3, which seems too low, but I got a half mark for some reason (lol...)

Can anyone please try and point out anything I'm doing wrong, probably with the inequality? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It's great to see that you are taking the time to double check your work and seek clarification when you encounter difficulties.

First of all, I commend you for correctly using the Remainder Estimate for the Integral Test in solving the given integral. From what you have described, it seems like you have followed the steps correctly and arrived at the right result.

However, I do see an error in your inequality. When solving for n, you should have taken the inverse of both sides of the inequality, so the correct solution would be n > 3, rather than n = 3. This makes more sense, since the value of n should be greater than 3 in order for the inequality to hold true.

I would recommend revisiting your steps and double checking your work, especially when solving for inequalities. It's always a good idea to go through your work again to catch any small mistakes that may have been overlooked.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! Keep up the good work in your studies.

Related to Why Is My Series Error Estimate Calculation Incorrect?

1. What is the purpose of error estimates for series?

The purpose of error estimates for series is to determine the accuracy of an approximation or calculation. This is especially important in scientific research where accurate results are crucial.

2. How are error estimates calculated for series?

Error estimates for series can be calculated using various methods such as the Taylor series expansion or the use of numerical integration techniques. These methods involve analyzing the difference between the actual value and the estimated value of a series.

3. Why are error estimates important in scientific calculations?

Error estimates are important in scientific calculations because they provide a measure of the uncertainty in the results. This allows scientists to understand the reliability and accuracy of their calculations, and make informed decisions based on the level of error.

4. Can error estimates for series be negative?

No, error estimates for series cannot be negative as they represent the difference between the actual value and the estimated value. A negative error estimate would imply that the estimated value is larger than the actual value, which is not possible.

5. How can error estimates be used to improve the accuracy of a series?

Error estimates can be used to improve the accuracy of a series by adjusting the calculation method or increasing the number of terms in the series. By reducing the error estimate, the estimated value will be closer to the actual value and therefore, more accurate.