Why is my soda can still bubbling after being opened?

• Thread starter Kirie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the bubbling of a can of Dr. Pepper after being opened and the concerns of the individual regarding its safety. The expert advises that the bubbling is a normal process of the carbon dioxide escaping from the liquid and can be affected by temperature and pressure. They suggest opening a fresh can and squeezing it before opening to minimize the bubbling.
Kirie
I cracked open a can of Dr. Pepper today and it immediately started bubbling, despite being still for over minutes. It didn't overflow, just bubbled within the rim of the can. This continued for over a minute, and then the bubbling calmed down, but didn't cease. The liquid was still moving within the can. I poured it out and nothing looked abnormal, although it dissipated oddly on the sink (maybe that's the norm with soda, I wouldn't know).

I got another can, washed it, let it sit, and opened it. The exact same thing happened, except the bubbling was less severe. I poured that one out too because I'm scared to drink it. What should I do? I still have a lot of cans left in the box.

Thanks in advance,
Kirie

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kirie said:
What should I do?

Crack open a fresh can and enjoy!

The bubbling is the carbon dioxide (CO2) escaping from the liquid. It's perfectly normal. (Unless you're not referring to the normally bubbling of soda, but something else)

Whether it starts bubbling depends not only on whether it was still, but also on the temperature of the drink (and to some extent of the surroundings), and on the ambient pressure.

The solubility of gasses decreases with temperature, so if you open the sodas when they are warm, you will see a lot more carbon dioxide bubbling out from the sodas than if you open them after they have been refrigerated.

I know that this sounds odd, but squeeze the can hard before you open it.

Related to Why is my soda can still bubbling after being opened?

1. Why does my soda can keep bubbling even after I open it?

When you open a soda can, you release the pressure that has built up inside. This pressure comes from the carbon dioxide gas that is dissolved in the liquid. When the can is sealed, the gas is forced to stay in the liquid. But when you open the can, the gas escapes and causes the bubbles we see.

2. Is it safe to drink a soda can that won't stop bubbling?

Yes, it is safe to drink a soda that is still bubbling. The carbon dioxide gas that causes the bubbles is not harmful and will not affect the taste or safety of the drink. However, if the can is bulging or leaking, it may be a sign of contamination and should not be consumed.

3. How can I prevent my soda can from bubbling over when I open it?

One way to prevent a soda can from bubbling over is to gently tap the sides of the can before opening it. This will help to release some of the gas and reduce the pressure inside. You can also try slowly opening the can and giving it a few seconds before fully opening it to allow some of the gas to escape.

4. What causes a soda can to continue bubbling after it has been opened?

The main reason a soda can continues to bubble after it has been opened is due to the carbon dioxide gas being released. This gas can also be released by shaking the can or exposing it to changes in temperature. The more gas that is released, the more bubbles we see in the drink.

5. Why do some soda cans bubble more than others?

The amount of bubbling in a soda can can vary due to a few factors. The type and amount of carbon dioxide gas added to the drink, the temperature of the drink, and the amount of shaking or agitation the can has experienced can all affect the level of bubbling. Additionally, some soda brands may use different methods or ingredients that can impact the bubbling.

Back