Why is my TI-84 giving different results for complex number calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with the TI-84 calculator in converting between rectangular and polar coordinates for complex numbers. The issue is resolved by changing the calculator to radians instead of degrees. It is suggested to read the manual for further clarification.
1st1
Hi,

I am having some difficulty understanding what is going on with the TI-84 complex number calculation in switching between rectangular and polar coordinates, hopefully someone can clarify this for me. For example, take the term 6<30 (6 angle 30). When I calculate this by hand going from polar to rectangular I get 5.196 + 3i. However, if I try to switch 6<30 into rectangular coordinates with my TI-84 I get 0.926 + 5.93i. Can anyone explain to me what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have the calculator set to radians instead of degrees.

The calculator is set to degrees, not radians. I've checked.
However if I put the angle in as radians it does work.
Maybe it only works with radians even though I'm in degree mode.

Last edited:
rtfm

Ok, I figured it out thanks for the input.

Related to Why is my TI-84 giving different results for complex number calculations?

1. What is a TI-84 calculator?

The TI-84 is a graphing calculator designed and manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used in high school and college math and science courses.

2. How do I input complex numbers on the TI-84?

To input a complex number on a TI-84 calculator, use the "i" button located on the top row of the calculator. For example, to input the complex number 3+4i, press 3 + i + 4 =.

3. Can the TI-84 perform calculations with complex numbers?

Yes, the TI-84 can perform calculations with complex numbers using the "i" button and the appropriate mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc.). It can also display the results in both rectangular and polar form.

4. How do I graph complex numbers on the TI-84?

To graph complex numbers on the TI-84, use the "i" button and the "Imag" key located on the top row of the calculator. Input the desired complex number and use the "graph" function to display it on the calculator's graphing screen.

5. Can the TI-84 solve equations with complex numbers?

Yes, the TI-84 can solve equations with complex numbers using the "i" button and the appropriate mathematical operations. It can also display the solutions in both rectangular and polar form.