Why is P-Type Conductivity Limited in Transparent Conducting Oxides?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitation of p-type conductivity in semiconductor transparent conducting oxides (TCOs) due to the strong ionic nature of metal-oxygen bonding which causes holes to be localized at the valence band edge dominated by oxygen-2p levels. Two methods have been suggested to enhance co-valency and limit localization, but recent studies have shown that this concept may not be entirely accurate. The source paper for this statement was requested and provided. However, it is noted that recent research has brought new insights into the topic beyond the time of the paper's publication.
bilalarif
I was reading about semiconductor transparent conducting oxides and I found this why p-type conductivity is limited in TCOs. But I could not understand its meaning please someone explain me how the holes are localized at valance band edge and how dominated by oxygen- 2p levels?

''Owing to the strong ionic nature of metal-oxygen bonding, holes are typically localized at the valence band
edge, which is dominated by oxygen-2p levels therefore limiting p-type conduction
. Two methods have been
suggested to enhance the co-valency between metal oxygen bonding, thereby limiting localization:1 choosing cations having closed d-shells of energy comparable to that of the oxygen-2p levels (i.e., Cu+, Ag+, and Au+, especially when found in linear coordination with oxygen2), and choosing a structure in which oxygen adopts tetrahedral coordination''

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do not think this statement is very precise. If holes tend to be localized, they would be localized in a gap state close to but not right at the valence band edge. It is also not true that hole localization limits the p-type conductivity. Take for example p-type conduction in perovskite oxides. In many cases it proceeds via hole conduction and these holes are self-trapped on oxygen sites and are derived from 2p states of oxygen.

Could you cite the source paper of this statement?

here is that paper

Attachments

• Comparison of Hydrothermal and.pdf
    192.2 KB · Views: 371
I think the sentence highlighted in red encompasses too many information and in fact recent work on hole-self-trapping brought new insights beyond 2004 at the time of writing this paper. In fact even the concept that covalency of metal-oxygen bond reduces self-trapping is questionable. Take for example rare-earth nickelates. The bonding between Ni and O has a clear covalent character, in spite of this hole trapping on oxygen occurs.

Related to Why is P-Type Conductivity Limited in Transparent Conducting Oxides?

1. What is conductivity in metal oxides?

Conductivity in metal oxides refers to the ability of metal oxides to conduct electricity. This is due to the presence of free electrons in the metal oxide's crystal lattice, which can move freely and carry electrical charge.

2. How is conductivity measured in metal oxides?

Conductivity in metal oxides is typically measured using a device called a conductivity meter. The meter applies a small voltage to the metal oxide and measures the resulting current. The conductivity of the metal oxide is then calculated using Ohm's law.

3. What factors affect conductivity in metal oxides?

Several factors can affect the conductivity of metal oxides, including temperature, impurities, and the crystal structure of the metal oxide. Higher temperatures can increase conductivity, while impurities can decrease it. The crystal structure also plays a role in determining the ability of electrons to move freely within the metal oxide.

4. What are the applications of conductivity in metal oxides?

The conductivity of metal oxides has various applications in different industries. It is commonly used in the production of electronic devices, such as transistors and capacitors. It is also used in the production of batteries, fuel cells, and solar panels. Additionally, metal oxide conductivity is important in the field of catalysis and in the development of new materials for energy storage and conversion.

5. How can conductivity in metal oxides be improved?

There are several methods for improving the conductivity of metal oxides. One way is by doping the metal oxide with impurities to increase the number of free electrons. Another method is by creating defects in the crystal structure of the metal oxide, which can also facilitate the movement of electrons. Additionally, controlling the synthesis conditions and choosing the appropriate metal oxide composition can also enhance its conductivity.