Why is Socrates' preference for questions similar to root cause analysis in IT?

• Thread starter grumpup
  • Start date
In summary, Socrates' preference for questions is similar to root cause analysis in IT because both methods involve questioning and probing to get to the underlying issue or problem. Socrates believed that by asking questions, one can uncover the truth and gain a deeper understanding of a subject. Similarly, root cause analysis in IT aims to identify the root cause of a problem rather than just addressing the symptoms. Both approaches prioritize critical thinking and analysis in order to reach a more meaningful and effective solution.
grumpup
I stumbled on this site a few days ago. While trained in Physics many decades ago, I have spent over 5 decades doing IT - and despite my age continue to do so. Besides physics (and therefore mathematics), my undergraduate was a liberal arts curriculum that included philosophy. I have a tendency to wax in that direction on occasion. The moniker was chosen to include grumpy, which those of us my age tend to be, and pup, a nickname I assumed late in life, partly because my best friend is Kat. I also sometimes use grandpup, as I have 5 granddaughters. The Kat also has 5 grandkittens of mixed gender.

My favorite philosopher is Socrates, because his preference for questions over answers, mirrors the analysis method of IT called root cause analysis.

Likes Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi grumpup.
welcome_shooter.gif

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/holly-1756-gif.110502/