Why Is Tetrachlorocuprate(II) Ion Incorrect?

In summary, the name of the complex ion CuCl4^2- is tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion, but it can also be referred to as tetrachlorocopper(II) ion. However, according to IUPAC nomenclature rules, the correct name is tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion, as 'cuprate' is not recognized by IUPAC. The use of -ate suffix to refer to a positively charged metal is also not strictly correct according to IUPAC.
haoku

Homework Statement

Name of complex ion CuCl4^2-

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion and my teacher says it is incorrect. I should write tetrachlorocopper(II) ion

Physics news on Phys.org
Cuprate i think would mean there is oxygen combined with the copper. like for chlorate(1) which is ClO-. the -ate suffix generally means an oxide.

It's possible that they are saying that by writing copper(II) you are implying cuprate, and therefore don't need to say it. For example, nowadays we don't say sulphite and sulphate, we say sulphate(II) and sulphate(III)... I think.

best guess right now is : tetrachlorocuprate(II) but better is to check in a General Chemistry textbook or an Inorganic Chemistry textbook.

haoku said:

Homework Statement

Name of complex ion CuCl4^2-

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote tetrachlorocuprate(II) ion and my teacher says it is incorrect. I should write tetrachlorocopper(II) ion

You must be naming according to IUPAC nomenclature rules. IUPAC doesn't recognize 'cuprate'; it is either copper(I) or copper(II). 'Cuprate' is often used in the literature but it isn't strictly correct according to IUPAC. It is particularly offensive (to chemical geeks like me) that the -ate suffix is used to apply to a positively charged metal when everyone knows that even under the old nomenclature system that -ate was the nomenclature of heteropoly anions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_inorganic_chemistryhttp://www2.potsdam.edu/walkerma/inorg_naming.pdf" ... (page 2, right hand column)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why Is Tetrachlorocuprate(II) Ion Incorrect?

1. What is the chemical name for the complex ion CuCl4^2-?

The chemical name for the complex ion CuCl4^2- is tetrachlorocopper(II) ion.

2. How is the charge of the complex ion CuCl4^2- determined?

The charge of a complex ion is determined by the sum of the charges of its constituent atoms or ions. In this case, Cu has a charge of +2 and each Cl has a charge of -1, resulting in a total charge of -2 for the complex ion CuCl4^2-.

3. What is the coordination number of the complex ion CuCl4^2-?

The coordination number of a complex ion refers to the number of ligands (atoms or molecules bonded to the central metal ion) surrounding the central metal ion. In this case, the coordination number of CuCl4^2- is 4, as it has four Cl ligands bonded to the central Cu atom.

4. How is the naming of complex ions different from naming simple ions?

Complex ions have a different naming system compared to simple ions. In complex ions, the ligands are named before the central metal ion and are listed in alphabetical order. Additionally, the charge of the complex ion is indicated by Roman numerals in parentheses after the name of the central metal ion.

5. What is the purpose of using complex ions in chemistry?

Complex ions are often used in chemistry to enhance the stability or solubility of a compound. They can also act as catalysts in chemical reactions or have specific properties that make them useful in certain applications, such as in medicine or industrial processes.