Why is the Bond Length of CF3Cl Shorter than CH3Cl Despite Bent's Rule?

In summary, according to Bent's rule, the p-character of a bond increases as the electronegativity of the attached atom increases. This results in an increase in bond length. In the case of CF3Cl and CH3Cl, the C-Cl bond in CH3Cl has a higher p-character due to the presence of only one electronegative atom, while the C-Cl bond in CF3Cl has a lower p-character due to the competing electronegativities of multiple attached atoms. This leads to a longer C-Cl bond length in CH3Cl compared to CF3Cl.
Titan97
Gold Member
Taken from 'Concise Inorganic Chemistry - J.D.Lee': "According to Bent's rule, more electronegative atom not only prefers to stay in the orbital having more p-character but can also increase the p-character in its attached orbital of the central atom depending on the circumstance... With an increase in p-character, bond length increases..".
So shouldn't dC-Cl of CF3Cl > dC-Cl of CH3Cl?
But dC-Cl in CH3Cl=1.78 A° and dC-Cl in CF3Cl = 1.75 A°. Why is it opposite to my conclusion?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
dC-Cl in CH3Cl=1.78 A° and dC-Cl in CF3Cl = 1.75 A°.
I think it is correct.
Bent's rule is that in a molecule, a central atom bonded to multiple groups will hybridise so that orbitals with more s character are directed towards electropositive groups, while orbitals with more p character will be directed towards groups that are more electronegative.
Because in CH3Cl ,C-Cl bond will have more p character than in CF3Cl. Because cl is the only electronegative atom in CH3Cl but in CF3Cl Fluorine is more electronegative.Ans as p character increases bond length also increases.Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl.

Likes vishaltr55 and Qwertywerty
gracy said:
but in CF3Cl Fluorine is more electronegative
What does the increased p-character in C-F bond have to do with the bond length of C-Cl bond? Does fluorine affect the electronegativity difference between Carbon and Chlorine? What I think is, a partial positive charge appears on carbon in CF3Cl of a graeter magnitude than that in CH3Cl and Electronegativity difference between C and Cl is more in CF3Cl. So p-character is more in CF3Cl and hence bond length is reverse of the calculated bond length.
(I know what I am saying is wrong but i don't know "where" i am going wrong)

Titan97 said:
What does the increased p-character in C-F bond have to do with the bond length of C-Cl bond?
It is about C-Cl bond,as data given is of C-Cl bond.

As p character in C-Cl is more in CH3Cl than in CF3Cl, dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl.
Because p character ∝ bond length.

So what about:
Titan97 said:
What I think is, a partial positive charge appears on carbon in CF3Cl of a graeter magnitude than that in CH3Cl and Electronegativity difference between C and Cl is more in CF3Cl. So p-character is more in CF3Cl and hence bond length is reverse of the calculated bond length.

It's not about electronegativity difference.It's about electronegativity of a particular atom or group.Greater P character is conferred to the bond of central atom with the most electronegative atom or group of a compound which is C-Cl bond in CH3Cl but not C-Cl bond of CF3Cl.

This is from your post: "Fluorine is more electronegative.Ans as p character increases bond length also increases.Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl."
You say that "Fluorine is more electronegative...Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl". If fluorine is more electronegative, then C-F bond length increases. But you are talking about C-Cl bond using E.N of fluorine.
I am sorry. But I am confused.

Titan97 said:
"Fluorine is more electronegative...Hence dC-Cl in CH3Cl is more than dC-Cl in CF3Cl".
Fluorine is more electronegative so p character would be concentrated in C-F bonds so bond C-Cl would not have high percentage of p character as in C-Cl bond of CH3Cl because in CH3Cl Cl was the only electrnegative element therefore p character would be concentrated in C-Cl bond.

Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:
If fluorine is more electronegative, then C-F bond length increases. But you are talking about C-Cl bond using E.N of fluorine.
I am sorry. But I am confused.
CF3Cl consists of an sp3 hybridised carbon . By Bent's rule , p-character will increse in the F-C bonds , decreasing p-character in Cl-C bond , or , effectively , increasing s-character in Cl-C bond .

In CH3Cl on the other hand , Cl-C bond has a higher p-character . Now , p-character corresponds to longer bond length as compared to s-character . Hence , the latter has greater bond length .

Hope this helps .

Likes vishaltr55, Titan97 and gracy
Did you understand @Titan 97?

Likes Bystander and Titan97
I understand now. Thank you.

I understand now. Thank you.

Related to Why is the Bond Length of CF3Cl Shorter than CH3Cl Despite Bent's Rule?

1. What is Bent's rule for bond length?

Bent's rule is an empirical rule in chemistry that states that in molecules or ions with central atoms having three or more substituents, the hybridization of the central atom will favor the formation of orbitals with greater s-character towards the more electronegative substituents.

2. How does Bent's rule affect bond length?

Bent's rule affects bond length by causing shorter bonds between the central atom and more electronegative substituents, since s-character in orbitals leads to stronger bonds.

3. What is the relationship between bond angle and bond length in Bent's rule?

In Bent's rule, as the bond angle decreases, the bond length also decreases due to the greater s-character in orbitals towards more electronegative substituents.

4. How does Bent's rule apply to molecules with multiple bonds?

In molecules with multiple bonds, Bent's rule still applies, but the effects may be more subtle since the hybridization and bond angle may be influenced by multiple substituents.

5. Can Bent's rule be applied to all molecules or ions?

Bent's rule can only be applied to molecules or ions with central atoms having three or more substituents since the effects of hybridization and bond length are more pronounced in these cases.