Why Is the Correct Answer for This Lap Time Problem B Instead of A?

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: So, using this with the statement above that theta1=theta2+2*Pi, you can get:(2*pi/T1)*t = (2*Pi/T2)*t + 2*PiNow you can collect terms a little, and factor out the t:2*Pi * (1/T1 -1/T2) = 2*Pi * tNow, you can see that the 2*pi's cancel out, and you can solve for the time. That's probably the most efficient way to do this, although there are other ways you could do it. The reason I find it most efficient is that it's more algebraic
nokia8650
I was struggling with the question below:

Two drivers take part in a race. The faster driver’s average lap time is 1 minute 6 seconds,
and the slower driver’s 1 minute 10 seconds.

Assuming they drive at a constant speed and started together, how long would it take for
the faster to lap the slower driver?

A 18 minutes 9 seconds

B 19 minutes 15 seconds

C 20 minutes 25 seconds

D 38 minutes 30 seconds

E 40 minutes 50 seconds

The correct answer is B - and I can see how this is arrived at, however I do not know why this is correct, as opposed to A:

My working:

4 sec difference in lap times

66 seconds/4 = 16.5 laps

16.5*66 = 18 minutes 9 seconds

Clearly, for the correct answer, rather than 66 seconds/4 = 16.5 laps, you must use 70 seconds (the slower driver's time). Can someone please explain the logic behind this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions like this are really abstract, because you don't know some information that is seemly obvious to know (like the length of the lap). So why don't you assume one like "x_lap"? In that case, the speed of the fast car is x_lap/66. The speed of the second car is x_lap/70. When the cars overlap at time t, the distance for the slow car is x_final, the distance for the fastcar is x_final + x_lap.

Your equations of motion for the positions of the cars at the final time t (YOU fill in):
Slow car (equation 1) x_final =
Fast car (equation 2): x_final +x_lap =

You want to find t, and boy doesn't this look horrid because you have 3 variables and 3 unknowns (x_lap, x_final, and t)! But it really isn't bad. Subtract the first equation from the second, and you SHOULD find:

x_lap = x_lap/66*t - x_lap/70*t

Now divide this by x_lap (it's in everything! ... and you should always eventually look for things you make assumptions about to drop out!):

1 = 1/66*t - 1/70*t = (1/66 + 1/70)*t

So t = ?

Bingo!

That's MUCH more straight-forward than trying to do something abstract, like look at differences between velocities and abstract this to some future condition, as you originally tried to do.

P.S. I worked this all out using an unknown lap distance, x_lap. I often suggest to my students that they COULD (in a pinch like a test) use something simpler, like 1 mi... IF it really seems in the problem they could do so. But you DO have to be careful about this technique... it's really better to leave assumed conditions as variables to be sure they cancel out.

Last edited:
Your working seems to be just playing with numbers. Why would you divide the period of the faster one by the difference? Can you explain your rationale?

The straightforward way to put it (at least for me) is
d1=d2+2Pi*r
The fast one has one lap advance when he first passes the slow one.
or even better, in terms of angles,
theta1=theta 2 + 2*Pi

Then you can manipulate this in various ways, by using speeds or periods.
For example,
theta1= (2*pi/T1)*t
theta2= (2*Pi/T2)*t
T1,T2 are the periods, given in the problem

Related to Why Is the Correct Answer for This Lap Time Problem B Instead of A?

1. What is a "lap time physics/logic problem"?

A lap time physics/logic problem is a type of puzzle or question that involves using physics principles and logical reasoning to determine the time it takes for a car or object to complete a lap around a track. It often involves factors such as speed, acceleration, and distance.

2. How do you solve a lap time physics/logic problem?

To solve a lap time physics/logic problem, you will need to use equations from physics, such as the formula for speed (speed = distance/time), and logical reasoning to determine the unknown variables. It may also involve breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using problem-solving strategies.

3. What knowledge do I need to have to solve a lap time physics/logic problem?

To solve a lap time physics/logic problem, you will need a basic understanding of physics principles, such as speed, distance, and acceleration. You may also need to have knowledge of mathematical equations and logical reasoning skills.

4. Are there any real-world applications for lap time physics/logic problems?

Yes, lap time physics/logic problems can be applied to real-world scenarios, such as determining the time it takes for a car to complete a lap on a race track or the time it takes for a runner to complete a race. These types of problems can also be useful in engineering and other fields that involve speed and distance calculations.

5. Can lap time physics/logic problems be solved using a computer program or calculator?

Yes, lap time physics/logic problems can be solved using a computer program or calculator. Many online resources and apps are available that can help with solving these types of problems. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the principles and equations involved in order to accurately interpret and use the results.