Why is the effective mass of electron different for metals

In summary: I wasnt aware that even within metals there can be variation in effective mass. So it seems then that specific conditions in a material can affect the effective mass, and its not solely down to the type of material or band structure? I guess this makes sense as you can change the effective mass by doping certain materials or applying a magnetic field.In summary, the effective mass of a material is determined by the curvature of the dispersion graph and can vary within the same material due to changes in charge carrier density. Different materials also have different band structures, leading to varying curvatures and effective masses. Additionally, specific conditions within a material, such as doping or applying a magnetic field, can also affect the
rwooduk
... and semiconductors?

I'm trying to get some basic principles sorted in my head and I can't seem to find a straight answer to this. The lecturer drew a dispersion graph to explain it but I'm still a little confused.

I understand since ##m^{*}\propto \frac{1}{\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2}}## then the curvature of the E vs k graph will determine the effective mass. BUT a metal will have curvature, a semi conductor will have curvature, so why should the effective mass be different?

Is there a physical scenario that I'm missing here?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
... and semiconductors?

I'm trying to get some basic principles sorted in my head and I can't seem to find a straight answer to this. The lecturer drew a dispersion graph to explain it but I'm still a little confused.

I understand since ##m^{*}\propto \frac{1}{\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial k^2}}## then the curvature of the E vs k graph will determine the effective mass. BUT a metal will have curvature, a semi conductor will have curvature, so why should the effective mass be different?

Is there a physical scenario that I'm missing here?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

The degree of curvature depends on many different things, including the strength of the many different couplings between the charge carrier and other scattering agents (electron-electron scattering, electron-phonon scattering, electron-impurity scattering, etc.). This is a many-body phenomenon, and we simplify all these interactions and lump them (under the Fermi Liquid theory) into the effective mass.

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
The degree of curvature depends on many different things, including the strength of the many different couplings between the charge carrier and other scattering agents (electron-electron scattering, electron-phonon scattering, electron-impurity scattering, etc.). This is a many-body phenomenon, and we simplify all these interactions and lump them (under the Fermi Liquid theory) into the effective mass.

Zz.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how this relates to the differing effective mass for metals and semiconductors, are saying the curvature of the dispersion graph for a semiconductor is different from that of a metal, and that's why the effective mass differs? Please could you tell me how it differs and why?

thanks again

rwooduk said:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how this relates to the differing effective mass for metals and semiconductors, are saying the curvature of the dispersion graph for a semiconductor is different from that of a metal, and that's why the effective mass differs? Please could you tell me how it differs and why?

thanks again

First of all, even within metals themselves there can be variation in the effective mass. You only need to look at where the Fermi energy crosses the band. My simply changing the charge career density (adding or subtracting careers), the Fermi level will cross at different part of the band and thus, with different curvature. So there, you are already getting different effective mass, all within the SAME metal.

Different material will have different band structure, even within metals themselves. There's no reason to expect that the Fermi level will always cross the band at the same curvature for all materials. So with this alone, you can easily see why a semiconductor will have a very different effective mass than metals, considering that the charge carrier in a semiconductor tends to be at the bottom of the conduction band for electrons, and at the top of the valence band for holes. This tends to have very different curvature than metals, which usually tend have Fermi crossing somewhere in the middle of the band (but not always).

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
First of all, even within metals themselves there can be variation in the effective mass. You only need to look at where the Fermi energy crosses the band. My simply changing the charge career density (adding or subtracting careers), the Fermi level will cross at different part of the band and thus, with different curvature. So there, you are already getting different effective mass, all within the SAME metal.

Different material will have different band structure, even within metals themselves. There's no reason to expect that the Fermi level will always cross the band at the same curvature for all materials. So with this alone, you can easily see why a semiconductor will have a very different effective mass than metals, considering that the charge carrier in a semiconductor tends to be at the bottom of the conduction band for electrons, and at the top of the valence band for holes. This tends to have very different curvature than metals, which usually tend have Fermi crossing somewhere in the middle of the band (but not always).

Zz.

Thats very helpful! thanks

Related to Why is the effective mass of electron different for metals

1. Why do metals have different effective mass of electrons compared to other materials?

The effective mass of an electron in a material is determined by its band structure, which is influenced by the atomic structure and bonding of the material. Metals have a more complex band structure due to the delocalization of electrons, resulting in a larger effective mass compared to other materials.

2. How does the effective mass of an electron impact the properties of metals?

The effective mass of an electron affects the electrical and thermal conductivity, as well as the magnetic properties of metals. A larger effective mass leads to lower mobility of electrons, resulting in lower conductivity and higher resistivity.

3. Can the effective mass of electrons in metals be changed?

The effective mass of electrons in metals is a fundamental property of the material and cannot be changed. However, it can be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. Why is the effective mass of electrons important in understanding the behavior of metals?

The effective mass of electrons is important in understanding the electronic properties of metals, which play a crucial role in their physical and chemical behavior. It is also a key factor in the design and development of electronic devices and materials.

5. How is the effective mass of electrons measured in metals?

The effective mass of electrons in metals is typically measured through experiments, such as Hall effect measurements and cyclotron resonance. These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to the material and measuring the response of the electrons, which can then be used to calculate the effective mass.