Why is the focal length for red light closest to that of white light in a lens?

• Thread starter StonieJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aberration
In summary, the focal length of a lens with red light is the closest to the focal length in white light.
StonieJ
Essentially, I'm curious as to why the focal length of a lens with red light is the closest to the focal length in white light.

MY ATTEMPTED ANSWER:

According to the lens-maker's equation, the focal length of a lens depends on the index of refraction of the lens material, which in turn is dependent upon the wavelength of the light being used. By observing the dispersion curve for a given lens, one can see that as the wavelengths get longer (towards red), the dispersion curve levels off (gets less negatively steep), indicating that the index of refraction for red is small and therefore red light is not highly bent as it passes through the lens. Blue light, on the other hand, has a high index of refraction and is focused to a point in front of the red light focal length.

Does that look right up to this point? I hope so, but I still don't feel like I'm answering the fundamental question of why red light is closest to white light. I'm just describing why it is refracted less than blue light (and I may not even be doing a good job of that). If white light contains both red and blue, then why does it more closely resemble that of red, and not something in between the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
NO one said red light is the closest to the white light, Who told you that?

this is the one of the best refractor's color curve, take a look
http://www.astro-physics.com/products/telescopes/160edf/160colorcurve3.jpg

Perhaps I misstated what I was asking about.

Here is the actual question:

"Compare the focal lengths of lens B (focal length 16.0 +/- 0.2 cm) for white, red, green, and blue light. For which of the three colors is the focal length more nearly the same as for white light? Explain."

My data is:
white = 15.9 cm
red = 15.7 cm
green = 15.6 cm
blue = 15.2 cm

Maybe by "explain" they don't mean "tell us why the focal length for red light is closest to white light" but that's the impression I got.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Why is the focal length for red light closest to that of white light in a lens?

What is chromatic aberration?

Chromatic aberration is a type of optical distortion that causes colors to appear blurry or fringed around the edges of an image. It occurs when different wavelengths of light are refracted at different angles, resulting in a lack of focus and color separation.

What causes chromatic aberration?

Chromatic aberration is caused by the way that lenses bend and focus light. Different colors of light have different wavelengths, and when passing through a lens, these wavelengths are bent at different angles. This can lead to color fringing and blurriness in an image.

Is chromatic aberration present in all lenses?

Yes, chromatic aberration is a natural optical phenomenon that occurs in all lenses to some degree. However, higher quality lenses are designed to minimize chromatic aberration, resulting in sharper and more accurate images.

Can chromatic aberration be corrected or fixed?

Yes, chromatic aberration can be corrected or reduced in post-processing using various software tools, such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. However, it is always best to try and minimize chromatic aberration when taking the photo by using a higher quality lens or adjusting the camera settings.

Are there different types of chromatic aberration?

Yes, there are two main types of chromatic aberration: axial (longitudinal) and lateral (transverse). Axial chromatic aberration appears as color fringing in front of and behind the focus point, while lateral chromatic aberration appears as color fringing at the edges of the image. Different lenses may exhibit one or both types of chromatic aberration.