Why is the Hydrogen Spectrum Ambiguous?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many lines would be seen on the ejection (or emission) spectrum when an electron in hydrogen falls from level 4 to the ground state. The response explains that the electron can decay back to the ground state in a variety of ways, each with its own unique emission line. The ambiguity of the question is also mentioned, as well as the concept of spontaneous emission and its explanation in Quantum Field Theory.
Sofi25l
I was asked in a test this question: Electron in hydrogen falls from level 4 , how many lines we will see on the ejection spectrum?
I hope I translated it well. I see a lot of question about those lines but can’t find information about it. Can anyone explain it to me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ejection spectrum” might be “emission spectrum?”

chemisttree said:
Ejection spectrum” might be “emission spectrum?”
Yes haha

So you are having trouble finding the emission spectrum for hydrogen?

I don’t understand the lines that suppose to come from it. If I have an emission from lvl 4 how many lines would I get?

Attachments

• 2C67F83D-322E-4BDF-838B-22F16755F028.png
    2C67F83D-322E-4BDF-838B-22F16755F028.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 172
That electron that has been elevated or excited to level 4 can decay back to its ground state in a variety of ways. It can get there in one hop (lots of energy emitted - ultraviolet, longest line on your graph) or in a series of hops to lower levels. Each hop toward ground state will emit electromagnetic energy the magnitude being determined by the relative energy difference between the levels. Big hops or longer lines on your graphic correspond to higher energy, higher frequency, and lower wavelength emission lines. Smaller hops correspond to lower energy, lower frequency, and longer wavelength emission lines. Your question asks you to determine all the ways this level 4 electron can get back down to ground state and count the pathways. Each pathway will have its own unique emission line.

OK?

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and Sofi25l
chemisttree said:
That electron that has been elevated or excited to level 4 can decay back to its ground state in a variety of ways. It can get there in one hop (lots of energy emitted - ultraviolet, longest line on tour graph) or in a series of hops to lower levels. Each hop toward ground state will emit electromagnetic energy the magnitude being determined by the relative energy difference between the levels. Big hops or longer lines on your graphic correspond to higher energy, higher frequency, and lower wavelength emission lines. Smaller hops correspond to lower energy, lower frequency, and longer wavelength emission lines. Your question asks you to determine all the ways this level 4 electron can get back down to ground state and count the pathways. Each pathway will have its own unique emission line.

OK?
Yes!thank you ! I was looking for an explanation for hours.:)

Let us know what you come up with!

chemisttree said:
That electron that has been elevated or excited to level 4 can decay back to its ground state in a variety of ways.

That's the problem with the question as it stands - its ambiguous. It's reasonable, as you assumed above, to assume it eventually falls all the way to the ground state - but it may not. I personally would point out the ambiguity, and like you said give all the ways it can do this. We must assume however in going to the ground state it does not absorb photons - if that happens then there are an infinite number of ways it can reach the ground state. I suppose though one could argue that it was stated it falls, which precludes re-absorptions. Personally I hate questions on exam papers that are ambiguous - this stuff is hard enough already.

To the OP this could happen for a variety of reasons one of which is spontaneous emission which is something not explainable in ordinary QM. An interesting question is then how is it explained. If it interests the following will help:
http://www.physics.usu.edu/torre/3700_Spring_2015/What_is_a_photon.pdf

If it doesn't interest you then forget about it, because it will start you on the long, fascinating, tortuous and frustrating journey in Quantum Field Theory which is best undertaken after a good preparation in QM. Or you can just skim it to get the gist and then not pursue it any further. It's up to you.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Why is the Hydrogen Spectrum Ambiguous?

1. Why is the hydrogen spectrum ambiguous?

The hydrogen spectrum is ambiguous because it consists of multiple lines with varying wavelengths, making it difficult to determine the exact position of each line. This ambiguity is due to the fact that the energy levels of hydrogen atoms are not evenly spaced, resulting in overlapping lines.

2. How is the ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum resolved?

The ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum is resolved by using spectroscopy techniques, which involve passing light through a prism or diffraction grating to separate the different wavelengths of light. This allows scientists to identify and measure the specific wavelengths of the hydrogen spectrum.

3. What causes the energy levels of hydrogen atoms to be non-uniform?

The energy levels of hydrogen atoms are non-uniform due to the quantum nature of the atom. According to the Bohr model of the atom, electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy levels, and the energy difference between these levels is not constant. This results in the non-uniform spacing of the energy levels and the ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum.

4. How does the ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum impact scientific research?

The ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum can impact scientific research in various ways. It can make it challenging to accurately measure the wavelengths of the lines, which in turn affects the accuracy of calculations and predictions based on the spectrum. However, advancements in spectroscopy techniques have allowed scientists to overcome this ambiguity and continue to make significant discoveries using the hydrogen spectrum.

5. Can the ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum be completely eliminated?

No, the ambiguity of the hydrogen spectrum cannot be completely eliminated due to the fundamental nature of the atom and its energy levels. However, with the use of advanced spectroscopy techniques and continued research, scientists have been able to reduce the ambiguity and gain a better understanding of the hydrogen spectrum.