Why is the Induced Current Clockwise in this GRE Problem?

In summary: I feel like if I use this method and point my thumb up for the part of the wire closer to the original wire, the B field is coming out of the page where the original wire is making a B field go INTO the page. I didn't think of B field as pointing in a direction in the same plane as the wire? if that makes senseIn summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the induced current in a loop of wire and the reasoning behind it. The direction of the current is determined by using the right-hand rule, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and the fingers curling to show the direction of the magnetic field. The conversation also touches on the concept of how the induced current
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/54

I am confused about this. The explanation for why the induced current is clockwise is because the induced current would resist the change in magnetic flux, therefore work to increase the magnetic field. But if the current induced in the wires is in the same direction as the original current, I use the right hand rule and it seems as if the magnetic field's will work to cancel each other out.

I'm picturing two circles going around each wire in the same direction (magnetic field) and between the wires one magnetic field will be going up while the other goes down.
Where is my thinking going wrong here?

Edit:
Is it because if the current is moving in the same direction, there will be an attractive force and therefore it will fight to increase the magnetic field? I feel like this logic isn't right because everyone else seems to be deducing the fact that it is going clockwise and then use that information to decide which way the forces are pulling on each side

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/54

But if the current induced in the wires is in the same direction as the original current, I use the right hand rule and it seems as if the magnetic field's will work to cancel each other out.
That statement makes no sense. The induced current will be in the same direction as that of the long wire in one side of the loop and obviously will be in the opposite direction in the other side.

What direction of loop current will increase the flux thru the coil? (Use the right-hand rule).

As to why E is right and D is wrong, you can also solve this dilemma by remembering that for parallel wires, same-direction currents imply attraction while opposite-direction currents imply repulsion.

rude man said:
That statement makes no sense. The induced current will be in the same direction as that of the long wire in one side of the loop and obviously will be in the opposite direction in the other side.

What direction of loop current will increase the flux thru the coil? (Use the right-hand rule).

Oops I meant the side of the loop closest to the original wire (not both of them).

As for what direction of loop current will increase the flux thru the coil? And I should use the right hand rule. I'm so bad at this but I really want to understand. It seems like no matter what way the current runs and I point my thumb my hand will curve through the loop one way or another? I want to to make it so the way my hand curls will make the part of the loop close to the original wire compliment each other? If so it seems like it going counter clockwise would achieve this ;-(

Last edited:
PsychonautQQ said:
rude man said:

QUOTE]
Oops I meant the side of the loop closest to the original wire (not both of them).

As for what direction of loop current will increase the flux thru the coil? I'm pointing my thump up and curving my hand and then doing the same thing with my thumb down, but I'm not seeing how to tell which one increases the flux.. it seems like they both will make a magnetic field going through the coil, it seems to me like clockwise will have a greater effect in canceling out the magnetic field from the original wire. Idk help ;-(

Curl your fingers in one direction. That's the direction of the current. Then the thumb points in the direction of the B field. Now, which direction is the B field due to the long wire? You want to point B due to the loop to point in the direction of the B field set up by the long wire, right?

rude man said:
PsychonautQQ said:
Curl your fingers in one direction. That's the direction of the current. Then the thumb points in the direction of the B field. Now, which direction is the B field due to the long wire? You want to point B due to the loop to point in the direction of the B field set up by the long wire, right?

Okay, see the way I was taught this right hand rule was to point my thumb in the direction of the current, then my fingers curl around and create the magnetic field to show if it is going in or out of the page. I feel like if I use this method and point my thumb up for the part of the wire closer to the original wire, the B field is coming out of the page where the original wire is making a B field go INTO the page. I didn't think of B field as pointing in a direction in the same plane as the wire? if that makes sense

rude man said:
PsychonautQQ said:
Now, which direction is the B field due to the long wire? You want to point B due to the loop to point in the direction of the B field set up by the long wire, right?

I do want to point B due to the loop in the direction of the B field set up by the long wire, but since the loop has parts of the current going each ways, do I only focus on the part of the loop that's closest since that will have the greatest effect?

PsychonautQQ said:
rude man said:
Okay, see the way I was taught this right hand rule was to point my thumb in the direction of the current, then my fingers curl around and create the magnetic field to show if it is going in or out of the page. I feel like if I use this method and point my thumb up for the part of the wire closer to the original wire, the B field is coming out of the page where the original wire is making a B field go INTO the page. I didn't think of B field as pointing in a direction in the same plane as the wire? if that makes sense

No, if you point your thumb up for the closer-in wire, the fingers curl INTO the page. So the B field points into the page.

Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:
rude man said:
I do want to point B due to the loop in the direction of the B field set up by the long wire, but since the loop has parts of the current going each ways, do I only focus on the part of the loop that's closest since that will have the greatest effect?

If you examine the geometry carefully you will see that the B field points into the page for both sides. Remember that the current reverses direction when you go from one side to the other.

rude man said:
PsychonautQQ said:
If you examine the geometry carefully you will see that the B field points into the page for both sides. Remember that the current reverses direction when you go from one side to the other.

And if the current went counter clockwise, when I curl my fingers in the direction of the current my palm still points into the coils?

PsychonautQQ said:
rude man said:
And if the current went counter clockwise, when I curl my fingers in the direction of the current my palm still points into the coils?

What's with the palm? Your thumb will point OUT OF the page.

Related to Why is the Induced Current Clockwise in this GRE Problem?

What is the "Induced Current GRE Problem"?

The "Induced Current GRE Problem" is a commonly asked question on the GRE Physics Subject Test. It refers to a problem that involves determining the direction and magnitude of the induced current in a conducting loop when it is placed in a changing magnetic field.

What is the equation for calculating induced current?

The equation for calculating induced current is given by Faraday's Law of Induction: I = -N(dΦ/dt), where I is the induced current, N is the number of turns in the conducting loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

What is the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. This means that if the magnetic flux is increasing, the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field opposing the change.

How does the orientation of the loop affect induced current?

The orientation of the loop in the magnetic field can affect the induced current. If the loop is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current will be at its maximum. If the loop is parallel to the magnetic field, the induced current will be zero.

What are some real-world applications of induced current?

Induced current has many real-world applications, including power generation in generators and alternators, induction cooktops, metal detectors, and electromagnetic braking in trains and roller coasters.

Back