Why is the limit for theta = pi/2 instead of 2pi?

In summary: This is not the case. I had meant to respond to the OP's post #7, which mistakenly stated that to have ##z > 0## it was necessary to have ##y > 0##. This is not the case.
qq545282501

Homework Statement

use cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of the solid which is under z=xy, above xy-plane and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_{0}^{pi/2} \int_{0}^{2cos\theta} \int_{0}^{r^2\cos\theta\sin\theta} r\, dz \, dr \, d\theta [/tex]

my professor had it pi/2, but when I do it myself, I don't see how its pi/2. 2pi would make more sense to me since it has a cylinder base.

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The curve ##r = 2\cos \theta## is fully circulated when ##\theta## goes from 0 to ##\pi##, so I would actually expect the limit to be from 0 to ##\pi##.

Likes qq545282501
blue_leaf77 said:
The curve ##r = 2\cos \theta## is fully circulated when ##\theta## goes from 0 to ##\pi##, so I would actually expect the limit to be from 0 to ##\pi##.

thank you ! Oh i see why its 0 to pi, i just graphed that curve, i see its not centered at (0,0), its in the first and fourth quadrant.
so i must have made a mistake when I took my notes in the class then?

qq545282501 said:
o i must have made a mistake when I took my notes in the class then?
Either ask one of your colleagues or confirm directly to the lecturer.

blue_leaf77 said:
Either ask one of your colleagues or confirm directly to the lecturer.

no more classes left for this course though :(

anyway,I just realized that if its 0 to pi, the volume become 0

Ah I see why it should indeed be from 0 to ##\pi/2##. The cylinder occupies ##x>0## region of space, but in this region the surface ##z=xy## is positive if ##y>0## and negative if ##y<0##. Because the volume is required to be above xy plane where z is positive, the part of ##z=xy## surface which is negative (that with ##y<0## and ##x>0##) must be ruled out.

Likes qq545282501
blue_leaf77 said:
Ah I see why it should indeed be from 0 to ##\pi/2##. The cylinder occupies ##x>0## region of space, but in this region the surface ##z=xy## is positive if ##y>0## and negative if ##y<0##. Because the volume is required to be above xy plane where z is positive, the part of ##z=xy## surface which is negative (that with ##y<0## and ##x>0##) must be ruled out.
oh interesting, I understand now. in order for z to be positive, y must be positive, which means first quadrant only.
thx a lot !

You are welcome.

blue_leaf77 said:

The third quadrant ##x<0## and ##y<0## would also be allowed by ##0 \leq z \leq xy##, but the cylindrical base ##x^2 + y^2 = 2x## lies completely in the first and fourth quadrants. Altogether, when you impose both conditions your region is restricted to the first quadrant.

Likes qq545282501
Ray Vickson said:
The third quadrant ##x<0## and ##y<0## would also be allowed by ##0 \leq z \leq xy##, but the cylindrical base ##x^2 + y^2 = 2x## lies completely in the first and fourth quadrants. Altogether, when you impose both conditions your region is restricted to the first quadrant.
I was actually aware of that, that was infact what enables me to write post #2.

blue_leaf77 said:
I was actually aware of that, that was infact what enables me to write post #2.

Sorry: wrong response.

I had meant to respond to the OP's post #7, which mistakenly stated that to have ##z > 0## it was necessary to have ##y > 0##.

Related to Why is the limit for theta = pi/2 instead of 2pi?

1. Why is the limit for theta = pi/2 instead of 2pi?

The limit for theta = pi/2 is based on the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine. When theta reaches pi/2, the value of sine becomes 1 and the value of cosine becomes 0. This means that any angle greater than pi/2 will result in undefined values for these functions, making pi/2 the maximum limit for theta.

2. How does the limit for theta = pi/2 relate to circles?

The limit for theta = pi/2 is equivalent to an angle of 90 degrees, which is one quarter of a full circle. This means that any angle greater than pi/2 would result in a point on the circle that is outside of the first quadrant. Since we typically use radians to measure angles in mathematics, pi/2 is the equivalent of 90 degrees and serves as the maximum limit for theta in a circle.

3. Can the limit for theta = pi/2 be exceeded in any situation?

The limit for theta = pi/2 is a mathematical concept and is not meant to be exceeded in any situation. However, in some physics and engineering applications, angles greater than pi/2 may be used for convenience. In these cases, the trigonometric functions are adjusted to account for the larger angle and make the calculations valid.

4. How does the limit for theta = pi/2 affect the graph of trigonometric functions?

The limit for theta = pi/2 is an important point on the graph of trigonometric functions, as it marks the maximum value for the sine and cosine curves. Any angle greater than pi/2 would result in a value outside of the graph, making pi/2 the end point for these functions. Additionally, the tangent function is undefined at pi/2, as it would result in division by 0.

5. Is the limit for theta = pi/2 the same in all branches of mathematics?

Yes, the limit for theta = pi/2 is a universal concept in mathematics and is used in various branches such as geometry, calculus, and complex analysis. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions and their applications in different fields of study.