Why Is the Set of Real Numbers Larger Than the Set of Natural Numbers?

In summary, the solution to Galileo's Paradox is that the set of natural numbers and the set of perfect squares are both infinite sets of the same cardinality, with a 1:1 correspondence between each element. However, the set of real numbers is larger than the set of natural numbers because it is uncountable, meaning a 1:1 correspondence cannot be established. This is demonstrated by Cantor's diagonal argument.
johndoe3344
I was reading about this topic of my own leisure, and I came across something that I couldn't quite understand.

The solution of Galileo's Paradox is that the set of natural numbers and the set of perfect squares are both infinite sets of the same cardinality (namely aleph 0). This I can understand. There can be established a 1:1 correspondence between each element of the two sets.

But then why is the set of real numbers larger than the set of natural numbers? Since the latter set is infinite, can't I use the same logic as above to show a 1:1 correspondence?

Can anyone explain this to me intuitively?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you can't :smile:
In fact, the subset [0, 1] of the real numbers is already "larger" than the set of all natural numbers. The way to show this (and a useful proof technique in general) is using Cantor's diagonal argument.

johndoe3344 said:
But then why is the set of real numbers larger than the set of natural numbers? Since the latter set is infinite, can't I use the same logic as above to show a 1:1 correspondence?

Can anyone explain this to me intuitively?

You can make a list of the integers, just like you can make a list of the squares. In both cases the list is complete, in the sense that every integer (and every square) will appear at some finite position on the list. This is called countability. The integers, their squares, and even the rational numbers are countable.

The real numbers, as shown by Cantor's diagonal argument, are uncountable. As a result you can't make the bijection, so the argument falls through.

Related to Why Is the Set of Real Numbers Larger Than the Set of Natural Numbers?

What is an infinite set?

An infinite set is a set that has an uncountable number of elements. This means that there is no end to the number of elements in the set.

What is cardinality?

Cardinality is a measure of the size or number of elements in a set. In the context of infinite sets, cardinality refers to the number of elements in an infinite set.

How do you determine the cardinality of an infinite set?

The cardinality of an infinite set can be determined by using a one-to-one correspondence, also known as a bijection, to map the elements of one set to the elements of another set. If a bijection exists between two sets, then they have the same cardinality.

What are some examples of infinite sets?

Some examples of infinite sets include the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), the set of real numbers (including all decimals and fractions), and the set of all possible subsets of a given set.

Are all infinite sets the same size?

No, not all infinite sets have the same cardinality. For example, the set of natural numbers (countably infinite) has a smaller cardinality than the set of real numbers (uncountably infinite).