Why Is the Small Angle Approximation Used in Optics Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the small angle approximation in a problem involving tangents and angles. The threadstarter was unsure of how to determine if the approximation was appropriate for the problem. Suggestions were made to try a range of small angles and to remember that the approximation only works with radians.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

Had the same problem as this threadstarter:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=109059

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find a ratio of tangents for the two angles. From there, it seems you're supposed to go "well tan(x) ≈ x for small angles so let's magically assume this is a small angle and go grab a donut".

Why is the small angle approximation appropriate for this problem and how do I avoid getting stuck on similar problems in the future?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try a range of small angles and judge for yourself, e.g.,

x=1°: x=... radians, sin x=..., tan x=...

x=2°: x=... radians, sin x=..., tan x=...

x=3°:

By working this out for yourself, you'll be left with a better appreciation of the result. :smile:

Remember, the trig approximations expect x to be in radians.

Do what nascent oxygen recommends...you will be surprised how 'BIG' the angle can be yet still be considered 'SMALL'

Of course the small angle approximation only works if you use radians.

Integral said:
Of course the small angle approximation only works if you use radians.

As recommended !

No, I get the small angle approximation, I just don't get how I am supposed to know that it is applicable here. I mean, we're not given any angles. We're supposed to figure it out through trig/geometry trickery.Theoretically, the angles could be pi/2 for all I know.

FAQ: Why Is the Small Angle Approximation Used in Optics Problems?

1. What is small angle approximation in optics?

The small angle approximation in optics is a technique used to simplify calculations when the angle of incidence or refraction is small. This is typically used for angles less than 10 degrees, where the sine of the angle is approximately equal to the angle in radians.

2. Why is small angle approximation used in optics?

Small angle approximation is used in optics because it allows for simpler and more accurate calculations when dealing with small angles. It also reduces the complexity of mathematical equations, making them easier to solve.

3. How is small angle approximation applied in optics?

Small angle approximation is applied in optics by replacing the sine of the angle with the angle in radians in mathematical equations. This simplifies the equations and makes them easier to solve without significantly affecting the accuracy of the results.

4. What are the limitations of small angle approximation in optics?

The limitations of small angle approximation in optics include its applicability only to angles less than 10 degrees, as well as its potential to introduce errors in calculations when used for larger angles. It is also not suitable for use in all types of optical systems.

5. How does small angle approximation affect the accuracy of optical measurements?

The use of small angle approximation in optics can slightly affect the accuracy of optical measurements, as it introduces a small amount of error in the calculations. However, this error is typically negligible for angles less than 10 degrees and does not significantly impact the overall accuracy of the measurements.

Back