Why Is the Sum of I2 to I5 Used in This Ionization Energy Calculation?

In summary: You need I2, I3, I4, and I5.In summary, the energy required in kJ molG1 for the process M(g)^+ ------> M^5+(g) + 4 e is 25,255 kJ/mol, which is the sum of I2, I3, I4, and I5. This is determined using Hess's Law, where the reactions needed to go from Mg(0) to Mg5+ are I2, I3, I4, and I5.
Hooke's Law

Homework Statement

I1, = 786 kJ molG1 I5 = 16,091 kJ molG1
I2 = 1577 kJ molG1 I6 = 19,784 kJ molG1
I3 = 3232 kJ molG1 I7 = 23,766 kJ molG1
I4 = 4355 kJ molG1 I8 = 29,251 kJ molG1

Determine the energy required in kJ molG1 for the following process:
M(g)^+ ------> M^5+(g) + 4 e

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw the solution sheet and it says "E = 25,255 kJ/mol (Sum of I2, I3, I4 and I5) Use Hess’s Law"

But why is it I2 to I5 and I thought it should be (products - reactants)
which I thought is I6 - I2. Could someone explain to me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Write reaction equation for each Ix.

I1 =M(g) ---> M^+(g) +e
I2= M+(g) ----> M2+ + e
I3 =M2+ ----> M3+ + e
I4 = M3+ ----> M4+ +e
I5 = M4+ ----> M5+ + e
I6 =M5+ ----M6 + +e

What's next?

Did I do them right?

OK, now, which reactions have to be combined?

I still don't understand. What I'm thinking is still I6 - I1...

I1 is about starting with Mg(0) - do you have Mg(0) in the process?

No, I1 won't be in the process.

What if I tell you that I6 is NOT Mg(0) -> Mg6+?

Oh in my other previous post it should I6-I2. For I6 isn't it I6 =M5+ ----M6 + +e?

Yes, I6 is Mg5+ -> Mg6+.

What reactions are needed to go from Mg(0) to Mg2+? Is I1 enough, or do you need I1 AND I2?

I'm thinking I1 and I2 is needed.

Yes, you need both. Now, which ones do you need to go from Mg+ to Mg5+?

Related to Why Is the Sum of I2 to I5 Used in This Ionization Energy Calculation?

1. What is Hess's Law?

Hess's Law is a principle in physical chemistry that states the total enthalpy change of a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken to reach the final products, as long as the initial and final conditions are the same.

2. How is Hess's Law used in chemistry?

Hess's Law is used to calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction that cannot be directly measured by combining multiple reactions with known enthalpy values. It is also used to determine the enthalpy of formation of compounds.

3. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in the gaseous state. It is a measure of how tightly an electron is held by the nucleus.

4. How does ionization energy relate to Hess's Law?

Hess's Law can be applied to calculate the ionization energy of an element by combining multiple reactions with known ionization energies. This allows scientists to determine the ionization energy of elements that cannot be directly measured.

5. What factors affect ionization energy?

The factors that affect ionization energy include the atomic radius, nuclear charge, and electron shielding. As the atomic radius increases, ionization energy decreases, and as the nuclear charge increases, ionization energy increases. Electron shielding also decreases ionization energy as it reduces the attraction between the nucleus and the valence electrons.