Why is the Term Equivalent to (4/3)x in Conduction Electron Ferromagnetism?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the approximation of exchange interactions among conduction electrons. It provides formulas for the total energy and magnetization, along with a limit for x. The summary also mentions finding the second derivative to show the instability of the total energy at certain conditions.
big man

Homework Statement

We approximate the effect f exchange interactions among the conduction electrons if we assume that electrons with parallel spins interacti with each other with energy -V, and V is positive, while electrons with antiparallel spins do not interact with each other.

(a) Show with the help of prblem 5 that the total energy of the spin-up band is:
[tex] E^+=E_0(1+x)^(^5^/^3^)-(1/2)N \mu B(1+x) - (1/8)VN^2(1+x)^2[/tex]

(b) Find a similar expression for E-. Minimise the total energy and solve for x in the limit x<<1. Show that the magnetisation is:

[tex] M =(3N \mu B)/(2E_F-(3/2)VN) [/tex]

(c) Show that with B =0 the total energy is unstable at x = 0 when [tex]V > (4E_f)/3N[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]M = n \mu x[/tex]

[tex]E_0=(3/10)NE_f[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is out of Kittel (8th edition) chapter 11. I easliy managed to do part (a).

For (b) obviously E- was easy to find because it was just a couple of sign reversals. So for my total energy I just added E+ and E- to get:

[tex] E_t_o_t = E_0(1+x)^(^5^/^3^)-(1/2)N \mu B(1+x) - (1/8)VN^2(1+x)^2 +E_0(1-x)^(^5^/^3^)+(1/2)N \mu B(1-x) - (1/8)VN^2(1-x)^2[/tex]

Now I know I had to differentiate with respect to x to 'minimise' the total energy and then set that to 0 and solve for x. However, I don't get the right answer for the magnetisation. I found something on the web that said the following term is equivalent to ([tex](4/3)x[/tex]):

[tex] (1+x)^(^2^/^3^) - (1-x)^(^2^/^3^)[/tex] *****

If you're wondering where I get that term from it is part of the differential.

[tex] dE_t_o_t/dx =(5/3)E_0[(1+x)^(^2^/^3^)-(1-x)^(^2^/^3^)] -N \mu B - (1/2)V(N^2)x [/tex]

Now my main question with this part is why does that term ***** equal (4/3)x?? The question works out absolutely fine once I do this, but I don't get why?

(c) For this last part the lecturer said we had to find the second derivative to show that it is unstable for V is greater than some value. But I don't quite understand this because there is no B or x in the second derivative. So what is the point of being given the conditions of B = 0 and x = 0?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (b) specifies in the small x limit (ie close to the special x=0 point), so you use the usual expansion
(1+x)^n ~ 1+nx+... and truncate the ... part. Voila: 4/3x.
Part (c), the point is that the extrema of the energy are found by dE/dx=0; you are to focus on the extremum at B=0, x=0. The second derivative is independent of B and x as you say, but the extremum is still at those values of the parameters. You then notice that the energy is of the form "M-N", so you can show for one range of V the extremum is a minimum and thereore stable and for another of V is a local maximum and therefore unstable.

Thanks for clearing that up! I really appreciate it. Everything works fine now.

Related to Why is the Term Equivalent to (4/3)x in Conduction Electron Ferromagnetism?

1. What is conduction electron ferromagnetism?

Conduction electron ferromagnetism is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit ferromagnetism due to the alignment of their conduction electrons. In these materials, the spin of the conduction electrons is responsible for generating a magnetic field, resulting in the materials being attracted to a magnetic field.

2. How does conduction electron ferromagnetism occur?

Conduction electron ferromagnetism occurs when there is an exchange interaction between the conduction electrons and the magnetic moments of the atoms in the material. This interaction causes the conduction electrons to align their spins, creating a net magnetic moment in the material.

3. What are some examples of materials that exhibit conduction electron ferromagnetism?

Some examples of materials that exhibit conduction electron ferromagnetism include iron, cobalt, and nickel. These materials are commonly used in everyday objects such as magnets and electronic devices.

4. What are the potential applications of conduction electron ferromagnetism?

Conduction electron ferromagnetism has potential applications in the field of spintronics, where the manipulation of electron spin is used for data storage and processing. It also has potential uses in magnetic sensors, energy harvesting, and magnetic refrigeration.

5. How does temperature affect conduction electron ferromagnetism?

The presence of thermal energy can disrupt the alignment of the conduction electron spins, leading to a decrease in ferromagnetism at higher temperatures. This is known as the Curie temperature, and it varies for different materials. Above this temperature, the material loses its ferromagnetic properties and becomes paramagnetic.