Why is there a hole in airplane windows?

In summary: I thought it was to keep the pressure equal.In summary, the hole in the middle pane is there to allow pressure between the air in the passenger cabin and the air between the outer and middle panes to equilibrate, but it is a failsafe designed to hold the cabin pressure in the event that the outer pane is fractured.
Happiness
The following link explains that "it serves as a bleed valve, allowing pressure between the air in the passenger cabin and the air between the outer and middle panes [an airplane window has three panes] to equilibrate", yet it mentions that it is "a failsafe designed to hold the cabin pressure in the event that the outer [pane] is fractured".

Isn't this a contradiction? The middle pane is there to hold the cabin pressure in the event the outer pane is fractured, but the hole would cause the cabin pressure to decrease.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/i-think-there-s-a-hole-in-your-logic-1703851837

Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
but the hole would cause the cabin pressure to decrease.
One little hole could probably be compensated by the system, or closed easily.

Likes Happiness
I read the text of your link. It states there are three panes, inner, middle, and outer. Only the inner has a hole. The picture in the link is not clear about the three panes?

Spinnor said:
I read the text of your link. It states there are three panes, inner, middle, and outer. Only the inner has a hole. The picture in the link is not clear about the three panes?

The picture only shows the outer and middle panes. The inner pane mentioned is the middle pane.

Edit, read your question more carefully. The cabin air pressurization system can easily keep up with a little hole. The system must pump in enough fresh air for all the passengers so large amounts of pressurized air must in fact be constantly dumped outside.

There are two pictures in the link. In both only two panes are shown. The pane with the hole is called the middle pane in the first picture and the pane with the hole is called the inner pane in the second picture. In any case the third pane mentioned in the text is not shown. If the are only two panes and the outer pane failed the hole the cabin pressure system I'm sure could keep up with the small air flow out the small hole. Maybe there are only two panes?

Last edited:
Spinnor said:
There are two pictures in the link. In both only two panes are shown. The pane with the hole is called the middle pane in the first picture and the pane with the hole is called the inner pane in the second picture. In any case the third pane mentioned in the text is not shown. If the are only two panes and the outer pane failed the hole the cabin pressure system I'm sure could keep up with the small air flow out the small hole. Maybe there are only two panes?

There are three planes, at least for all the airplanes I've seen so far. But the inner pane is not airtight.

Happiness said:
But the inner pane is not airtight.
Yeah, that is just to prevent people from putting chewing gum into that hole.

Likes Nugatory

FAQ: Why is there a hole in airplane windows?

1. Why do airplane windows have a hole?

The hole in airplane windows is actually called a "bleed hole" and serves an important purpose in regulating the air pressure inside the cabin. Without this hole, the difference in pressure between the inside and outside of the plane could cause the windows to crack or even break.

2. Is it safe to have a hole in airplane windows?

Yes, it is completely safe to have a hole in airplane windows. In fact, the hole is intentionally designed and tested to ensure the safety and structural integrity of the windows. It allows the cabin pressure to remain at a safe and comfortable level for passengers and crew.

3. Can the hole in airplane windows affect the flight?

No, the hole in airplane windows does not affect the flight in any way. It is a necessary feature for the safe operation of the aircraft and does not impact the aerodynamics or performance of the plane.

4. Do all airplanes have a hole in their windows?

Yes, most commercial airplanes have a hole in their windows. This includes both large commercial jets and smaller regional planes. The hole is a standard design feature that is required for the safety and function of the aircraft.

5. How does the hole in airplane windows prevent them from fogging up?

The hole in airplane windows serves another important function, which is to prevent them from fogging up during flight. The hole allows a small amount of air to flow between the panes of the window, which helps to regulate the temperature and prevent condensation from forming on the inside surface of the window.