Why is there a * in the 2nd integral for self-adjoint ODEs?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary: Thanks for the clarification! In summary, physicists prefer the bra to be conjugated in inner product spaces, to make computations with Dirac notation a bit more straight-forward.
ognik
Hi, my textbook claims $ <u|\mathcal{L}v> =\int_{a}^{b}u^*\mathcal{L}v \,dx = \int_{a}^{b} u(p_0u''+p_1u'+p2u) \,dx$, u,v matrices or functions

My only query is why $u^*$, and where did the * get to in the 2nd integral? I am used to $ <f|g>=\int_{a}^{b}f(x)g(x) \,dx $ ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The $^*$ is necessary in complex inner product spaces, such as you encounter in quantum mechanics. It's necessary to preserve some of the properties we expect inner products to have. As for it not appearing in the second integral, I suspect you're dealing with a real inner product space there, in which case the conjugate is unnecessary.

thanks ... and is it always the Bra part that is conjugated? And it's nothing to do with a conjugated Ket vector becoming a Bra?

ognik said:
thanks ... and is it always the Bra part that is conjugated? And it's nothing to do with a conjugated Ket vector becoming a Bra?

Here you have to be careful. Physicists are quite consistent here - the bra is conjugated and the ket is not. Mathematicians are inconsistent; some authors are linear in the first term, others in the second. I think the physics notation is superior because of how it suggests what's actually going on.

As for a conjugated ket becoming a bra, that's called taking the Hilbert adjoint. Technically, the conjugate transpose of a bra is a ket, and vice versa. This process takes a vector from one inner product space, and sends it into the dual space. This process is independent of which vector - the bra or the ket - you conjugate in an inner product.

Useful info thanks - I'm trying to become a physicist, so I'll stick with conjugating the Bra. I had seen that they were conjugate transposes of each other which was a tad confusing, so now I know they CAN, but will by default conjugate the Bra with inner products - hopefully I haven't misunderstood anything?

How does using the Bra suggest what's going on please? I thought it had something to do with needing one vector to be a col, the other a row - which of course doesn't work with other than 1 x n matrices...

Well, if you stick a bra $\langle y|$ together with a ket $|x\rangle$ you get a bra-ket, or bracket: $\langle y|x\rangle$, which is the inner product. Or if you have an expression like $|x\rangle\langle y|$, and you "multiply" it with a ket $|z\rangle$, you get $|x\rangle\langle y|z\rangle$. So I like the Dirac notation - I think it's intuitive, and helpful.

Just confirming, when you said it suggests what's going on, were you referring to the inner product? My query was more about physicists preferring the bra being conjugated instead of the ket, does conjugating the bra imply something deeper?

ognik said:
Just confirming, when you said it suggests what's going on, were you referring to the inner product?

Yep!

My query was more about physicists preferring the bra being conjugated instead of the ket, does conjugating the bra imply something deeper?

It does not imply anything mathematically deeper. It makes computations with Dirac notation a bit more straight-forward, that's all.

Gotcha, sorry if I sometimes appear pedantic, I have discovered too many small (but often significant) gaps and inaccuracies in my maths and am determined to increase my overall 'mathematical maturity' as well as do the course :-)

FAQ: Why is there a * in the 2nd integral for self-adjoint ODEs?

1. What is a self-adjoint ODE?

A self-adjoint ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of differential equation where the coefficients of the highest order derivative and its lower order derivatives are symmetric with respect to the independent variable. This means that the equation can be rewritten in a symmetric form, making it easier to solve using various mathematical techniques.

2. How is a self-adjoint ODE different from other types of ODEs?

Unlike other types of ODEs, a self-adjoint ODE has a symmetric form, which allows for a more efficient and elegant solution. This type of ODE also has unique properties, such as a conserved quantity known as the "energy" or "action", which can be useful in physical applications.

3. What are some examples of self-adjoint ODEs?

Some examples of self-adjoint ODEs include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Schrödinger equation. These equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena, such as heat transfer, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics.

4. How are self-adjoint ODEs solved?

Self-adjoint ODEs can be solved using a variety of methods, including separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and Green's functions. These techniques involve manipulating the equation into a standard form and then using mathematical tools to find a solution.

5. What are the applications of self-adjoint ODEs?

Self-adjoint ODEs have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model physical systems, analyze stability and behavior of systems, and predict future outcomes. They are also used in numerical methods for solving more complex differential equations.