Why Is There a Limit to Drinking Water Through a Straw?

• Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the pressure inside the straw decreases as the person sucks on the straw, and atmospheric pressure on the water surface pushes the water down, causing it to rise into the mouth.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

straw.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that while sucking , the pressure inside the straw decreases .Atmospheric pressure on the water surface pushes the water down such that it rises in the straw, into the mouth .

I don't understand how there could be a limit on the depth of water which could be drunk .

How should I proceed ?

Attachments

• straw.png
    straw.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 921
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
how there could be a limit on the depth of water which could be drunk .
The question could be clearer.
It means the maximum height difference between the drinker's mouth and the surface of the water in the glass (outside the straw).
You will need a figure for atmospheric pressure.

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
You will need a figure for atmospheric pressure.

760 mm of Hg .

haruspex said:
It means the maximum height difference between the drinker's mouth and the surface of the water in the glass (outside the straw).

OK . How should I move ahead with this interpretation ?

Jahnavi said:
760 mm of Hg .
OK . How should I move ahead with this interpretation ?
What is the pressure inside the straw at the height of the water outside the straw?
How does that relate to the pressure in the mouth?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
What is the pressure inside the straw at the height of the water outside the straw?

Atmospheric pressure 760mm of Hg .
haruspex said:
How does that relate to the pressure in the mouth

This is what I don't understand .

Jahnavi said:
Atmospheric pressure 760mm of Hg .This is what I don't understand .
How does pressure inside a static fluid vary with height?

haruspex said:
How does pressure inside a static fluid vary with height?

OK . Let me try .

Considering the straw is completely vertical and pressure at the top of the water ( inside the mouth ) is PM . Pressure in the liquid at the level of the water outside the straw is P A . Water is standing up to a height 'h' .

Using hydrostatics , PM +hρg = PA , we can find h .

Is that correct ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . Let me try .

Considering the straw is completely vertical and pressure at the top of the water ( inside the mouth ) is PM . Pressure in the liquid at the level of the water outside the straw is P A . Water is standing up to a height 'h' .

Using hydrostatics , PM +hρg = PA , we can find h .

Is that correct ?
Yes.

Thanks .

But at some places the solutions involve buoyancy . Please see couple of the accepted solutions I found on the web . I wonder how buoyancy play any role in this :rolleyes: .

Is it that we are interpreting the question differently ?

Attachments

• Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Solution2.png
    Solution2.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 454
I think the most instructive way of solving this problem is to simply look at the definition of the unit mmHg, i.e., the pressure that can support a column of mercury of 1 mm. If you were trying to drink mercury (not recommended) with a differential pressure of 10 mmHg, you could therefore lift the mercury at most 10 mm. You can compute the height of the water column by computing how high the water column would have to be to have the same mass as this hypothetical mercury column. To do this you can compare the densities. In essence, it is a question of unit conversion from mmHg to mmH2O.

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:
Thanks .

But at some places the solutions involve buoyancy . Please see couple of the accepted solutions I found on the web . I wonder how buoyancy play any role in this :rolleyes: .

Is it that we are interpreting the question differently ?
Those two "solutions" are clearly derived one from the other, and they are gobbledegook. They get the right equation, but it has nothing to do with the explanations offered.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

haruspex said:
gobbledegook

:DD

I had to actually look up what it meant :smile:

I was literally taken aback reading those explanations wondering how air was displacing water :wideeyed: .

Related to Why Is There a Limit to Drinking Water Through a Straw?

1. How does drinking water through a straw affect the environment?

Using a straw for drinking water may contribute to plastic pollution in the environment. Many straws are made of single-use plastic, which can take hundreds of years to decompose and can harm marine life. Consider using a reusable straw made of metal, glass, or bamboo instead.

2. Does drinking water through a straw have any health benefits?

Drinking water through a straw can help with proper hydration by allowing you to drink more water at a faster pace. It can also help prevent staining of teeth by reducing contact between water and tooth enamel.

3. Is it true that drinking water through a straw can cause wrinkles?

There is no scientific evidence to support this claim. Wrinkles are caused by a variety of factors such as genetics, aging, and sun exposure. Drinking water through a straw does not have any direct effect on wrinkles.

4. Can drinking water through a straw prevent cavities?

Using a straw to drink water can help reduce the risk of cavities by limiting the contact between water and teeth. However, it is still important to maintain good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing regularly, to prevent cavities.

5. Is it safe to drink hot water through a straw?

It is generally safe to drink hot water through a straw, but it is important to make sure the straw is made of a heat-resistant material and is not bent or damaged. Be cautious when drinking hot liquids through a straw to avoid burning your mouth.