Why Is There a Plus Sign in the Terminal Potential Difference Formula?

In summary, when calculating the terminal potential difference across a battery, the formula (Terminal Potential difference) = (emf) - (I X r) is typically used. However, if current is flowing in the opposite direction than the battery wants, the voltage drop is in the opposite direction as well, so the formula (emf) + (I X r) is used instead. This can also be written with the subtraction equation, but with a negative current. Therefore, the emf can be negative, but it is usually considered a positive constant when measuring terminal potential difference.
lha08

Homework Statement

I have a question, in one of my problems in the book(too complicated to post here), they ask for the terminal potential difference across a battery. But usually the formula is (Terminal Potential difference)= (emf)-(I X r) where r is the internal resistance. Like in one case, current is flowing from the positive terminal to the negative one and then through the resistor, but then apparently we have to use this formula to calculate the terminal potential difference: (emf) + (I X r)...why is there a plus sign? I'm just wondering can the emf ever be negative or is it only considered as a positive constant? Like when we measure terminal potential difference, do we usually start at the internal resistance and move to the negative to the negative terminal?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
There are voltage drops across resistors when current flows through them. The voltage at the terminal where current enters is more positive than the voltage at the terminal where the current leaves. So if you have current coming in at the direction opposite to what the battery wants, the voltage drop is in the opposite direction too. Therefore, you'd add it instead of subtract it.

You could also use the other equation with the subtraction except for you'd have a negative current, causing the term to be added.

Last edited:

FAQ: Why Is There a Plus Sign in the Terminal Potential Difference Formula?

What is Terminal Potential Difference?

Terminal Potential Difference, also known as terminal voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between the positive and negative terminals of a battery or other electrical device.

How is Terminal Potential Difference measured?

Terminal Potential Difference is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is connected across the positive and negative terminals of the device. It is measured in units of volts (V).

What factors affect Terminal Potential Difference?

The Terminal Potential Difference of a battery or electrical device can be affected by factors such as the type of material used for the electrodes, the distance between the electrodes, and the chemical reactions taking place within the device.

What is the significance of Terminal Potential Difference?

Terminal Potential Difference is important because it determines the amount of electric current that can flow through a circuit. The greater the Terminal Potential Difference, the greater the potential for electric current to flow.

How can Terminal Potential Difference be calculated?

Terminal Potential Difference can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. It can also be calculated by subtracting the voltage drop across any resistors in the circuit from the total voltage supplied by the battery or power source.

Back