Why is there mold growing on my brown sugar?

• Thread starter Neicie
  • Start date
In summary, mold can grow on brown sugar because it contains moisture and provides a suitable environment for mold to thrive. The high sugar content of brown sugar also attracts moisture, creating an ideal breeding ground for mold. Mold can also be present in the air and quickly spread to food, particularly in humid environments. To prevent mold growth, it is important to store brown sugar in an airtight container in a cool, dry place and to use it within a reasonable amount of time.
Neicie
How did you find PF?
I came across PF while searching for an answer on why there was white furry mould growing on my dark brown sugar.
I cannot understand why there is white furry mould growing on my brown sugar as I always believed that sugar was a preservative.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Neicie said:
How did you find PF?: I came across PF while searching for an answer on why there was white furry mould growing on my dark brown sugar.

I cannot understand why there is white furry mould growing on my brown sugar as I always believed that sugar was a preservative.
(You should not ask questions in https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions.240/ - ask in the appropriate forum.)

But, from my experience, if it gets damp, mold or yeast will grow.