Why is there no work done on gas from Q to R?

In summary: In the figure, P=4*105 Pa is constant, so the integral simplifies to W=P(V2-V1).In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done by a gas and the confusion surrounding the lack of work done from Q to R on a P(V) graph. It is explained that work is the area under the P(V) curve, but since the graph in the figure is V(P), the work done on the gas must be calculated using the formula W=P(V2-V1). This is further clarified by breaking down the formula and explaining the relationship between pressure, area, volume, and displacement.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-27_14-9-14.png

upload_2016-3-27_14-9-30.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why there is no work done on gas from Q to R. I thought that work done on gas = pv?
If so, then why there is no work done on gas because there is increase in pressure?

So, I tried to find a reason, and I thought that work done should be the area under the graph, because it is a volume against pressure graph. In this case, then there shouldn't be any work done from P to Q too because the change is a straight line. But there is. There is a work done of +240J.

Can someone explain to me where I'm wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 98047
View attachment 98048[/B]

Homework Equations

U = Q + W

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why there is no work done on gas from Q to R. I thought that work done on gas = pv?
If so, then why there is no work done on gas because there is increase in pressure?

So, I tried to find a reason, and I thought that work done should be the area under the graph, because it is a volume against pressure graph. In this case, then there shouldn't be any work done from P to Q too because the change is a straight line. But there is. There is a work done of +240J.

Can someone explain to me where I'm wrong? Thanks
Look at the axes. The horizontal one is the pressure, the vertical on is volume. You can imagine that the gas is confined in a cylinder equipped with a movable piston. The gas exerts force on the piston, and does work if the piston moves. If the piston moves, the volume of the gas changes. Does the volume change from Q to R? Is work done without displacement of the piston?
The work is the area under a P(V) curve. But the curve in the figure is V(P).
From P to Q, the volume changes from 8*10-4 m3 to 2*10-4 m3 while the pressure stays the same, 4*105 Pa. The work done by the gas is W=PΔV, negative, as the volume decreases. The work done on the gas is 240 J.

ehild said:
Look at the axes. The horizontal one is the pressure, the vertical on is volume. You can imagine that the gas is confined in a cylinder equipped with a movable piston. The gas exerts force on the piston, and does work if the piston moves. If the piston moves, the volume of the gas changes. Does the volume change from Q to R? Is work done without displacement of the piston?
The work is the area under a P(V) curve. But the curve in the figure is V(P).
From P to Q, the volume changes from 8*10-4 m3 to 2*10-4 m3 while the pressure stays the same, 4*105 Pa. The work done by the gas is W=PΔV, negative, as the volume decreases. The work done on the gas is 240 J.
Thanks. But I'm still confused. Why is work done by a gas the area under a P(V) curve? Why must pressure be constant? And how can it be, since ## P ∝ 1/V ## ?

You should know that the work of the force F(x) during the displacement from x1 to x2 is ##W=\int _{x1}^{x2}{F(x) dx}## The definite integral is defined so as it gives the area of the F(x) curve between x1 and x2,
The force exerted by the gas on the piston of area A is PA. (P is the pressure). If the piston moves by dx, the elementary work is dW=P(Adx), but Adx is the change of volume dV= Adx, so the elementary work done by the gas is dW=PdV. The entire work when the volume of the gas changes from V1 to V2 is the integral W=##\int _{V1}^{V2}{PdV}##, the area under the P(V) curve between V1 and V2.

FAQ: Why is there no work done on gas from Q to R?

1. What is the formula for calculating work done on gas?

The formula for calculating work done on gas is W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume.

2. How do you determine the units for work done on gas?

The units for work done on gas are typically expressed in joules (J) or in other units derived from joules, such as kilojoules (kJ) or ergs (erg). This is because work is a measure of energy, and joules are the standard unit for energy in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How does the temperature of the gas affect the work done on it?

The temperature of the gas does not directly affect the work done on it. However, changes in temperature can cause changes in pressure and volume, which can then affect the work done on the gas. In general, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in pressure, and a decrease in volume, leading to an increase in work done on the gas.

4. Can you calculate the work done on a gas without knowing the pressure?

No, the pressure of the gas is a necessary component in the formula for calculating work done on gas. Without knowing the pressure, it is not possible to accurately determine the work done on the gas.

5. How is work done on a gas related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Work done on a gas is a form of energy transfer, and it is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics. In fact, the first law can be stated as: the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the work done on the system plus the heat transferred to the system. This means that the work done on a gas can affect its internal energy and ultimately its temperature.

Back