Why is this a type II double integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the type I and type II double integrals for finding the area between two curves. The correct solution is found through a careful consideration of the limits of integration for each type of integral. It is important to draw a diagram to visualize the region and avoid making mistakes in choosing the correct limits.
Avatrin
∫∫[itex]_{A}[/itex]xy[itex]^{2}[/itex]dxdy

A is the area between y = x^2, y = 2-x and x[itex]\geq[/itex]0.

I am told that this is a type II double integral and I thus have to:

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{2-y}_{√y}[/itex]xy[itex]^{2}[/itex]dxdy

But, why can't I do this?

∫[itex]^{2}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{2-x}_{x^2}[/itex]xy[itex]^{2}[/itex]dydx

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you hear of switching the order of integration?

Avatrin said:

The second integral should have (0,1) as the range for x, since the curves cross at x = 1.

It still is not the right answer. The solution to the equation you suggest is 47/120. The correct solution is 17/120 (i.e. the solution to the type II double integral)

Avatrin said:

Who told you this? That is clearly incorrect. For y between 0 and 1, x ranges between 0 and [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex]. For y between 1 and 2, x ranges between 0 and 2- y. Integrating in that order, the area has to be done as two separate integrals:
[tex]\int_{y=0}^1\int_{x= 0}^{\sqrt{y}} xy^2dxdy+ \int_{y=1}^2\int_{x= 0}^{2-y} xy^2 dxdy[/tex]

Why can't I do this?

You can. It is the first integral that is incorrect.

HallsofIvy said:
Who told you this? That is clearly incorrect.

Well, it is an example in my book. The text is in Norwegian, but you will get the math:
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/8316/eksempel2kap6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Avatrin said:

Mathman and Halls of Ivy are both wrong.

Here's how your second integral needs to be corrected:

[tex]\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y=0}^{x^2}xy^2\ dydx+\int_{x=0}^1\int_{y=0}^{2-x}xy^2\ dydx[/tex]

Of course that is easier to see with that picture above, but it goes to show you, even experts can make mistake with limits of integration for multidimensional regions. I've seen some that get really tricky in 3 dimensional regions. For instance, after you have the three constraints y=2-x, y=x^2 and x=0, you have to be careful that you pick the region in the plane that is "bounded" by these. What I mean is, there are actually 8 regions, created by the 3 lines (find them). Two of them are "bounded", by that I mean, we can't head infinitely far away. Can you find the two bounded regions (out of the eight total). But only one of them has a side or face of x=0.

My guess, Mathman jumped to the conclusion that we should stop at something corresponding to a point of intersection. But just using algebra to figure out the limits is very tricky, if possible, and one should definitely draw them to get a better and/or faster answer.

As for Halls of Ivy, it looks as if they chose the wrong bounded region, and may have in effect assumed that y=0 was an edge as well.

You may have preferred the type I because you wanted to avoid the root, but now you have to divide your integral into two separate regions. And the type II won in the end because that root never survived long, polynomials are so easy to integrate hooray!

Last edited:

Related to Why is this a type II double integral?

1. Why is this a type II double integral?

A type II double integral is used when the region of integration is defined by two functions, one of which is a function of x and the other a function of y. This type of integral is also known as an iterated integral, where the inner integral is integrated with respect to x and the outer integral is integrated with respect to y.

2. How is a type II double integral different from a type I double integral?

A type I double integral is used when the region of integration is defined by two vertical lines and two functions. In contrast, a type II double integral is used when the region of integration is defined by two functions, one of which is a function of x and the other a function of y.

3. What is the purpose of using a type II double integral?

A type II double integral is used to find the volume of a solid bounded by a surface over a given region in the xy-plane. It can also be used to calculate the area under a curve, known as a surface integral, or to determine the average value of a function over a given region.

4. How do you solve a type II double integral?

To solve a type II double integral, you must first identify the limits of integration by setting the inner integral equal to a constant and solving for x. Then, set the outer integral equal to a constant and solve for y. Once you have the limits of integration, you can then integrate the inner integral with respect to x and the outer integral with respect to y.

5. What are some real-life applications of type II double integrals?

Type II double integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating the mass of an object with varying density, determining the center of mass of an object, and finding the moment of inertia of an object. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving volume, area, and average values.