Why is this balancing technique easier for some cultures than others?

In summary, the people in the video cannot do the pose because their center of mass is above their ankles, and their arms are providing the extra torque.
fahraynk

Who can explain this video? It must be because the people in the video have smaller backsides/hips so their center of mass would be above their ankles and then their arms are providing the extra torque... Or just stretched out ankles?
The moderator is taller than everyone else in the video I think that is why he can't do it either... As in not a ankle stretching thing but a center of mass/torque thing.

Either way my knees hurt now after 20 minutes of falling backwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
fahraynk said:

Who can explain this video? It must be because the people in the video have smaller backsides/hips so their center of mass would be above their ankles and then their arms are providing the extra torque... Or just stretched out ankles?
The moderator is taller than everyone else in the video I think that is why he can't do it either... As in not a ankle stretching thing but a center of mass/torque thing.

Either way my knees hurt now after 20 minutes of falling backwards.

Nothing to it.
On the first try.

I have always had a problem doing this. I have tried to figure out he problem. I conclude that it is partly due to relative lengths of leg joints and lower body mass. Short lower leg and long upper leg will put your CM way back beyond your heels (particularly if your body CM is low). My ankles are very tight and that limits how low an angle I can get my shins, too. Also, I have 'big' thigh muscles and 'big' calf muscles so I can't fold my legs together as the people in the video were doing.
I guess there will be many sources of anthropometric data across the racial types. That could resolve the matter. I must find a spare hour to search . . . .

I have achieved the pose when carrying a heavy back pack (raised CM). That surprised me at the time. But my joints soon started hurting.

Likes fahraynk
Personally, I think it is entirely a cultural thing. If you are raised to do this from the time you can walk, it's nothing special. It is done in Asia and other parts of the world and not here in the US

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Why is this balancing technique easier for some cultures than others?

What is the difference between physics and flexibility?

Physics is the branch of science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves principles such as gravity, motion, and forces. Flexibility, on the other hand, refers to the ability of an object or material to bend, stretch, or deform without breaking.

Is flexibility a part of physics?

Yes, flexibility is a physical property that can be explained by the principles of physics. It involves the concept of elasticity, which is the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being stretched or deformed.

How does physics affect flexibility?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding and improving flexibility. The principles of mechanics, such as force, torque, and momentum, explain how our muscles and joints work together to achieve flexibility. By applying these principles, we can develop techniques and exercises to improve our flexibility.

Can physics explain extreme flexibility in some individuals?

Yes, extreme flexibility in some individuals can be explained by a combination of genetics, training, and proper body mechanics. Some people may have a genetic predisposition for more flexible joints, while others may have trained their bodies to achieve a high level of flexibility through consistent practice and proper alignment of muscles and joints.

How can understanding physics help in preventing injuries during stretching?

By understanding the principles of physics, we can learn how to properly engage our muscles and use correct body mechanics during stretching exercises. This can help prevent overstretching, which can lead to strain or injury. Additionally, understanding the physics of flexibility can also help us identify potential risk factors for injury and develop strategies to avoid them.