Why is this loop pushed downwards by the magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced magnetic fields and the resulting forces when two magnets with their north poles facing each other are brought together. The conversation also mentions the use of dipole equivalents in understanding these forces.
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

kOrw33c.jpg

2. Homework Equations

FB = ∫I ds×B

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess was that it would not move at all.

I understand that there is an induced magnetic field in the opposite direction but wouldn't the induced field produce a current counterclockwise, which, since it's moving in a field, create a force outwards in all directions.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have already drawn a dipole equivalent of the top circuit with the "North" pole down. You also figured out that the induced dipole in the other loop would be in the opposite direction with the "north" pole up. What kind of force do you get when you bring two magnets together with their north poles facing each other?

Likes alexdr5398
kuruman said:
You have already drawn a dipole equivalent of the top circuit with the "North" pole down. You also figured out that the induced dipole in the other loop would be in the opposite direction with the "north" pole up. What kind of force do you get when you bring two magnets together with their north poles facing each other?

Ah, I see, guess I never made that connection before. Thanks

Related to Why is this loop pushed downwards by the magnetic field?

1. What is the cause of the downward push on the loop?

The downward push on the loop is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric currents within the loop.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the loop?

The magnetic field exerts a force on the electric currents within the loop, causing them to experience a downward push.

3. Why does the loop move downwards instead of upwards or in a different direction?

The direction of the force on the loop is determined by the direction of the electric currents and the direction of the magnetic field. In this case, the electric currents and the magnetic field are oriented in a way that causes a downward force on the loop.

4. Is the downward push on the loop consistent or does it vary?

The downward push on the loop is dependent on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the amount of electric current flowing through the loop. Therefore, it can vary depending on these factors.

5. Can the magnetic field push the loop upwards if it is strong enough?

Yes, if the magnetic field is strong enough and the direction of the electric currents is reversed, the magnetic field can push the loop upwards instead of downwards.