Why is this valid? Continuity of Functions Problem

tellmesomething
Homework Statement
If ##f(x)## is continuous and ##f(\frac{9}{2})=\frac{2}{9}## then the value of ##\lim{x\to 0}f(\frac{1-cos3x}{x²})##is?
Relevant Equations
None
I was unsure how to bring the output expression. We can assume f(x) to be f(y) for simplicity. So ##y=\frac{1-cos3x}{x²}## which is alright. Next I thought to take the limit of this expression but im unsure if my reasoning is correct.

Since the functional value is continuous so the part of the graph in the neighborhood of f(y) for the corresponding value of y (I.e limiting value of f(y)) will be equal to the actual value of f(y).
This must imply that the neighborhood of y must be in the domain of the function and hence could say that the limiting value of y=y itself..
Do I make any sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
tellmesomething said:
Homework Statement: If ##f(x)## is continuous and ##f(\frac{9}{2})=\frac{2}{9}## then the value of ##\lim{x\to 0}f(\frac{1-cos3x}{x²})##is?
Relevant Equations: None

I was unsure how to bring the output expression. We can assume f(x) to be f(y) for simplicity. So ##y=\frac{1-cos3x}{x²}## which is alright. Next I thought to take the limit of this expression but im unsure if my reasoning is correct.

Since the functional value is continuous so the part of the graph in the neighborhood of f(y) for the corresponding value of y (I.e limiting value of f(y)) will be equal to the actual value of f(y).
This must imply that the neighborhood of y must be in the domain of the function and hence could say that the limiting value of y=y itself..
Do I make any sense?
This: ##f(\frac{9}{2})=\frac{2}{9}## will only help if ##\lim \limits_{x\to 0}\frac{1-cos3x}{x²}## is ## \frac{9}{2}##. Can you continue from there?

Likes PeroK
FactChecker said:
This: ##f(\frac{9}{2})=\frac{2}{9}## will only help if ##\lim \limits_{x\to 0}\frac{1-cos3x}{x²}## is ## \frac{9}{2}##. Can you continue from there?
I understand that. But I want to know if ## \lim\limits_{x\to 0} f( \frac{1-cos3x}{x²})=f(\lim\limits_{x\to 0}\frac{1-cos3x}{x²})## and if so why? And where would it not be equal.

tellmesomething said:
I understand that. But I want to know if ## \lim\limits_{x\to 0} f( \frac{1-cos3x}{x²})=f(\lim\limits_{x\to 0}\frac{1-cos3x}{x²})## and if so why? And where would it not be equal.
See, for example: https://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/Math200/Text/Chapter11.pdf
1721718146919.png

Likes FactChecker and tellmesomething