Why is Wool Used in the Resonance Tube to Calculate the Speed of Sound?

In summary, the wool is put to the bottom of the cylinder to prevent it from shattering when the tube is in the cylinder.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

In the practical for calculating speed of sound using the resonance tube why do we put wool to the bottom of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

To prevent the tube from hitting the bottom hard for it can be broken.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's the practical I'm referring to. We normally put wool to the bottom and fill it with water. Why do we put wool like that? Is it to prevent the tube hitting the cylinder causing the glass to break?

In that experiment I see a tube but I don't see a cylinder.

The way to tackle a question like that is to make a list of all the things the cotton wool could be for and eliminate the unlikely uses.

Certainly the resonance tubes are easily broken in the course of this experiment - what with it being about resonance and all - so, if the tube has to rest on a solid surface, it should have some padding to sit on or risk shattering.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Yep, It's for the safety I think. Thanks for the help and the tip! :)

In general - it is best practice not to assume that people on the other side of the world living in different cultures and experiencing different education systems are familiar with the specific apparatus and setup being used in your classroom. Try to describe everything that is pertinent to your question and you are more likely to get a useful answer quickly.

It's also great practice for writing reports/papers that get A's.
;)

Haha, Yea I understand about that system thingy! and of course hard work earns A's :D

Well it's like this. You first fill the cylinder with water and put wool into it and drown it to the bottom using a rod or something. Then get the tube into the cylinder and sound the tuning fork and lift the tube until you hear a sharp sound. measure the length, put it into the equations, that's all. They say. No mention about the job done by wool.

FAQ: Why is Wool Used in the Resonance Tube to Calculate the Speed of Sound?

What is the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is the rate at which sound waves travel through a medium, such as air or water. In a standard atmosphere at sea level, sound travels at approximately 343 meters per second.

How is the speed of sound measured?

The speed of sound can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using an oscilloscope to measure the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance or using a resonance tube to determine the wavelength and frequency of a sound wave.

Does the speed of sound change in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. It generally travels faster in denser mediums, such as water, and slower in less dense mediums, such as air. The speed of sound also changes with temperature and humidity levels in air.

How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

As temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is because sound waves travel faster through particles that are moving faster, which occurs at higher temperatures. The increase in speed is not linear and varies depending on the medium.

Why is the speed of sound important?

The speed of sound is important in many practical applications, such as in aviation and meteorology. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and studying the behavior of sound waves and their interactions with different mediums. Additionally, the speed of sound can give insight into the properties of a medium, such as its density and temperature.