Why Isn't Mathematica Showing the Expected Prompt and Output?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the problem is that you are not using the control key properly. You need to hold down the control key and then press the other key.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
ive just started using mathematica from a server of my university (citrix), according to every tutorial of mathematica i should be getting at the prompt window, a line with In1:= but i don't see such a line.
and another thing, I've just started with basic arithematic operations, and it states that in order to see the output of say '1+1' i should press after typing '1+1' shift+enter, but it doesn't give any output.
how to reconcile this?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You won't see the In1 until you evaluate the line, i.e. <SHIFT>-ENTER. Then You will see the In1 and OUT1 line markers.

There is an option to turn the cell labels of/on (ShowCellLabel). Look it up in the on-line help (a great resource). Perhaps you need to turn them on.

Did the cell get evaluated?

i don't know really, i typed '1+1' (without '_') and then pressed shift+enter, and then the black line appeared i guess it bacause it passes to the next line.
anyway, the showcelllabel is it a command should i type it or what exactly?
i looked at it in the help browser but didnt understand how to check on it.
anyway, i checked in the cell properties and the cell is open,editable and evautable.

ok it works now, apparently i should have chosen at kernel-notebook kernel-local.

i have a few questions I am now using the tutorial here:
http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/1.1.7.html
the special keys to enter input there I am having difficulty using for example this example of theirs:
N[esc p esc ctrl{^]2 ctrl{ctrl-space] ctrl{/]6ctrl{ctrl-space]]
now the esc is okay, but with the control should i press with one stroke or one continuous stroke?
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a few questions I am now using the tutorial here:
http://documents.wolfram.com/v4/MainBook/1.1.7.html
the special keys to enter input there I am having difficulty using for example this example of theirs:
N[esc p esc ctrl{^]2 ctrl{ctrl-space] ctrl{/]6ctrl{ctrl-space]]
now the esc is okay, but with the control should i press with one stroke or one continuous stroke?
thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the esc characters, it is sequential. Howver, when you are doing the control--- you do both keys at the same time.

the problem is how exactly to do it? i know it's funny but i need something like five fingers to do this.
it looks stupid to me to do this, but still it's good to know it.
the art of typing (-:

Related to Why Isn't Mathematica Showing the Expected Prompt and Output?

1. How do I install Mathematica 5.2?

To install Mathematica 5.2, you will need the installation file or CD-ROM. Follow the instructions provided by Wolfram Research to complete the installation process. You may also need to enter a license key to activate the software.

2. Can I use Mathematica 5.2 on multiple computers?

Yes, you can install Mathematica 5.2 on multiple computers as long as you have a valid license for each installation. However, you may need to deactivate the software on one computer before activating it on another.

3. What are the system requirements for Mathematica 5.2?

The system requirements for Mathematica 5.2 vary depending on your operating system. Generally, it requires at least 128 MB of RAM and 1 GB of disk space. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.

4. How do I access help resources in Mathematica 5.2?

You can access help resources in Mathematica 5.2 by clicking on the "Help" menu or using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + F1" (Windows) or "Cmd + F1" (Mac). You can also access the documentation and tutorials on the Wolfram website.

5. Can I use Mathematica 5.2 for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, Mathematica 5.2 has powerful capabilities for data analysis and visualization. It includes built-in functions for statistical analysis, data manipulation, and creating graphs and plots. You can also import and export data from various file formats.