Why isn't my electromagnet working?

In summary, you tried to play with electricity by wrapping wire around an iron cylinder, but it didn't work. You may have to scrap the insulation off the ends of the wire to make it work.
KaleLetendre
In my adventures through my attempt at a home laboratory i decided i would try to play with electricity a bit more.

I took an iron cylinder 1 inch diameter 6 inch length and wrapped about 4 meters of 1mm copper wire around it with a small length hanging off each side.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1464331677.588642.jpg

To my understanding when i touch each side to a power source the result would be the magnetized iron, this was not the case. What did i do wrong?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the copper wire insulated?

Likes Delta2
No its not

I got the copper wire from an old T.V. Where it was used in an inductor

KaleLetendre said:
No its not
There you go, you just built a big, straight wire. :smile:

The make an electromagnet, the current has to flow in a spiral around the core. You need insulated wire for that.

KaleLetendre said:
If it was used in an inductor, then it should be insulated. It is possible that the insulation is broken (or melted), making short circuits.

Ok i get it so i could say wrap the wire in electrical tape and then coil it and it should work

If you still use non-insulated wire, make sure the individual turns don't touch each other.

Likes Delta2
jtbell said:
If you still use non-insulated wire, make sure the individual turns don't touch each other.
You need also to put some tape around the iron core to isolate it.

If it was used in an inductor then it must be ok for the job. There must either be an open circuit (is there any way for you to know current is actually flowing?) or a flat battery or a short between the ends of the coil.
With the amount of current that cell could probably supply, you could expect to see small sparks when you brush one of the contacts with one end of the wire.

Thinking about this some more I guess that you just cut the wire and didn't strip the clear laquer insulation from the ends and there is no electrical contact. Try scraping gently with a knife or with emery paper. Alternatively, applying a hot soldering iron with solder may well dissolve the laquer and give it good 'tinned' ends for a good contact. I am sure that will sort out your prob.

DrClaude said:
Is the copper wire insulated?
KaleLetendre said:
No its not
KaleLetendre said:

well actually if it came from a coil in an old TV ... it WILL be insulated, else it wouldn't have worked for that coil

What you haven't done is scrape the enamel insulation of the ends of the wire
so use a razor blade, craft knife etc and scrape the almost clear enamel insulation of around an inch off each end
THEN it will have proper connection to the batterycheers
Dave

PS ... I didn't read sophie's post fully ... in full agreement

It works! Thank you all

Likes davenn
KaleLetendre said:
It works! Thank you all

well done :smile:

scraping the ends of the wire did the trick, I assume ?cheers
Dave

It really is unfair that they use so much 'gold' coloured laquer. Many other colours are available and everyone would spot a red or purple wire isn't plain copper.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
It really is unfair that they use so much 'gold' coloured laquer. Many other colours are available and everyone would spot a red or purple wire isn't plain copper.

so true
... a nice trap for young players :wink:

Likes Drakkith and sophiecentaur

Related to Why isn't my electromagnet working?

What is an electromagnet and how does it work?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet in which the magnetic field is produced by an electric current. It consists of a wire coiled around a core material, such as iron. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the core, which can attract or repel other objects.

Why is my electromagnet not working?

There could be several reasons why your electromagnet is not working. It could be due to a loose connection in the wire, a break in the wire, or insufficient power supply. It is important to check all components and connections to ensure they are functioning properly.

How can I fix my electromagnet if it's not working?

First, check all the connections and make sure they are secure. If the wire is broken, you will need to replace it. Make sure you have a strong power source, as a weak battery or power supply can also cause the electromagnet to not work. You may also need to adjust the number of coils or the core material to optimize the strength of the electromagnet.

Can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

Yes, there are several ways to increase the strength of an electromagnet. You can increase the number of coils, use a stronger core material, or increase the amount of electric current flowing through the wire. However, be careful not to exceed the capacity of your power source, as this can damage the electromagnet.

What are some common uses of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday devices such as doorbells, refrigerators, and credit card readers. Electromagnets are also used in industries such as transportation, energy, and manufacturing.