Why Is It Crucial to Specify Constants When Varying Variables?

In summary, when varying a function, it is important to specify what you are not varying. This is done by defining what you are holding constant.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
We get a lot of questions on PF as to "what happens when you vary foo". I'd like to talk a bit why it's important to specify what you're holding constant when you "vary foo", by referencing elementary partial differential equations.

I realize that this approach might not reach the maximum number of people :-(, but I'm not sure what to do about that to expand the audience. But I'm hoping it will be of some interest anyway. We get our share of posters who don't know what a partial differential equation is all about, but we also get our share of posters who DO know.

The inspiration for this was something I read in Penrose's book, "The Road to Reality" about the second fundamental confusion of calculus (see pg 190).

Suppose we have some function f(x,y), and we want to know how it varies "when we change x". We call this the partial derivative of f with respect to x, and we define it by changing x and holding y constant.

n
If we define X = x, and Y =x+y then

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \neq \frac{\partial}{\partial X} [/tex]

EVEN THOUGH x=X!

If you are used to thinking of partial derivatives as vectors, it becomes really clear, with a simple diagram, why this is so (see attached diagram).

Even if you are NOT used to partial derivatives as vectors, it's hopefully obvious that the vector on the left diagram does represent the concept of "changing x with y held constant", and the other diagram represents the concept of "changing x with Y held constant", and that the two diagrams are NOT THE SAME.So, the bottom line is this Varying x with y held constant is NOT the same as varying x with Y held constant, where Y = x+y. It's different, and if you want to specify what you're varying, you ALSO need to specify what you are not varying, what you are holding constant. At least if you want to get an actual answer.

Attachments

• seconffund.png
    seconffund.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org

Thanks pervect!

On the other hand, dx = dX. This is a large part of why I feel that, when thinking algebraically, cotangent vectors are a more fundamental idea than tangent vectors.

Interesting example. I'm making a mental note of it, in case I need to explain this to someone else.

This sort of thing is the reason why I like to talk about functions and their partial derivatives with respect to the kth variable (and use notations like [itex]D_k\,f[/itex] or [itex]f_{,\,k}\,[/itex]) instead of talking about partial derivatives of a variable with respect to some other variable.

FAQ: Why Is It Crucial to Specify Constants When Varying Variables?

What does "holding constant" mean in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, "holding constant" refers to keeping certain variables or factors consistent and unchanged throughout the experiment. This allows researchers to isolate the effect of the variable they are testing.

Why is it important to specify what is being held constant in an experiment?

Specifying what is being held constant in an experiment is important because it helps to ensure that any changes observed are a result of the variable being tested, rather than other factors. Without this information, the results of the experiment may be misleading or inaccurate.

How do scientists determine which variables to hold constant in an experiment?

Scientists determine which variables to hold constant by carefully designing their experiments and considering what other factors may influence the outcome. They may also conduct pilot studies or consult previous research to identify potential confounding variables.

What are some examples of variables that are commonly held constant in experiments?

Some examples of variables that are commonly held constant in experiments include temperature, time, and the concentration of certain substances. Other factors such as location, equipment used, and participant demographics may also be held constant.

What happens if scientists do not specify what is being held constant in an experiment?

If scientists do not specify what is being held constant in an experiment, the results may be unreliable and difficult to interpret. It may also be challenging for other researchers to replicate the experiment or build upon the findings without knowing what variables were controlled for.