Why motherboard need different voltages

• Thread starter SDRFG
  • Start date
In summary, different computer motherboards require different voltages, usually 1.5V, 5V, and 12V. Most PCs use multiple voltages, but some embedded systems may use a single voltage. Processors can dissipate a lot of heat due to their dense packing, and opening the computer does not necessarily mean opening the processor. The processor is "lock based", meaning it has many pins, and different circuits may operate within it.
SDRFG
Hello,
What computer need different voltages at mother board like 1.5V 5V 12V etc??

Computer science news on Phys.org
SDRFG said:
What computer need different voltages at mother board

Pretty much all of them. It may be that there are some for embedded systems that use a single voltage, but anything for a PC will use several voltages.

Likes SDRFG
PC will use several voltages.

i have open the processor it was dissipating a lot of heat, why?
small few inches more than heater or same.

SDRFG said:
i have open the processor it was dissipating a lot of heat, why?
small few inches more than heater or same.
I SERIOUSLY doubt you have "opened the processor". More likely you have just opened the computer. The processor is the CPU chip and you can't "open" it without destroying it.

Electrical components get hot and computers have particularly dense packing so there can be a lot of heat in a small space.

Likes SDRFG
I SERIOUSLY doubt you have "opened the processor". More likely you have just opened the computer. The processor is the CPU chip and you can't "open" it without destroying it.

Hello,
The processor is lock based there are lot of pins

SDRFG said:
Hello,
The processor is lock based there are lot of pins
Yes. So what is your point? What does "lock based" mean?

ok i got it there may be different circuit operating...

FAQ: Why motherboard need different voltages

1. Why do motherboards need different voltages?

Motherboards need different voltages to power different components on the board. Different parts of the motherboard, such as the CPU, graphics card, and memory, require different levels of voltage to function properly.

2. How do different voltages affect a motherboard's performance?

If a motherboard does not receive the correct voltages, it can lead to malfunctions and even damage to the components. This can result in decreased performance and potential hardware failures.

3. What happens if a motherboard receives too much voltage?

If a motherboard receives too much voltage, it can cause overheating and damage to the components. This can also result in instability and crashes.

4. Can a motherboard use different voltages at the same time?

Yes, a motherboard can use different voltages at the same time. This is because different components require different levels of voltage to function properly.

5. How do I know what voltage my motherboard needs?

Your motherboard's manual or specifications should list the required voltages for each component. You can also use a hardware monitoring tool to check the current voltages being supplied to your motherboard.

Back